named not starting with "-u named" option
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pitboss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: named not starting with "-u named" option Reply with quote

I'm running gentoo (obviously) and am having problems with bind and named.

I can get named to run and function properly without the "-u named" option which makes named run as the named user rather than root. However, the default init script (on both gentoo and redhat) use the "-u named" switch for security reasons (I assume).

When I try to run named with the -u option, it never starts and doesn't put anything in the logs either. I've checked to make sure that the named user exists and is in /etc/password. I've also checked permissions on /etc/bind/ and /var/bind and the files within, to make sure that the named user can access them.

Any ideas on what may be wrong? I'd really like to use the -u option rather than having it run as root.

The bind version is 9.2.0.

-pitboss
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this sounds bogus, but I had a problem with bind 9.2.0 and zone-transfers when I would run the command without a trailing space at the end of the command line. This was on my friend's Mandrake box. It is prolly one of the most annoying problems, because you look at the command line and it looks fine, took me about a hour to stumble upon it. :( It too was running with the -u argument.

If this does work for you, please let me know, sounds like a bug, or maybe it is Mandrake specific.

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
pitboss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried adding the space at the end of the command line with no luck.

So, to recap:

When I run:

Code:
root # named

everything works fine. But when I run:

Code:
root # named -u named

it doesn't do anything. It just exits.

Weird.

-pitboss
lude
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitboss wrote:
Code:
root # named -u named

it doesn't do anything. It just exits.

Try named -d 5 -u named

Turns on some verbose logging, maybe it'll give you a better hint as to what's going on.
pitboss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the -d option! I had to add the -g option to see it from the command line. It turns out that it was having trouble writing the pid file to /var/run/named.pid due to permissions. I made the /var/run/ directory world writable and everything works now.

So now my question has changed. I don't want my /var/run/ directory world writable. In RH Linux, a named directory is created under /var/run/ with named permissions. So named writes its PID file to /var/run/named/named.pid (and thus, only /var/run/named needs to have write permissions for the named user). However, I don't know where the PID file location is set for named (however, I do know about the location set in /etc/init.d/named to stop the process). Any help with this would be appreciated.

-pitboss
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: