Boot time kernel DMA message
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Narada
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Boot time kernel DMA message Reply with quote

Hello. I get an error message while booting which you can see by clicking here. It says that my drive does not have DMA enabled but DMA is enabled in kernel and hdparm is also added to boot runlevel with following options in /etc/conf.d/hdparm.
Code:
all_args="-c1 -d1 -m16 -k1 -u1"

How can I get the kernel to recognise that DMA is on or how else can I turn DMA on? This problem began when I moved to the testing tree (~x86) and has continued even with a change in kernel. Any help would be much appreciated.
Braempje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Boot time kernel DMA message Reply with quote

Narada wrote:
Hello. I get an error message while booting which you can see by clicking here. It says that my drive does not have DMA enabled but DMA is enabled in kernel and hdparm is also added to boot runlevel with following options in /etc/conf.d/hdparm.
Code:
all_args="-c1 -d1 -m16 -k1 -u1"

How can I get the kernel to recognise that DMA is on or how else can I turn DMA on? This problem began when I moved to the testing tree (~x86) and has continued even with a change in kernel. Any help would be much appreciated.

Try searching in your kernel options for chipset support for your ide connectors. Could you post the output of dmesg?
Narada
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Here is some further information about my system.

Yoshi Assim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:
Taken a look at your boot screen it seems that your system makes a reiserfsck at the beginin, before the system goes in "default" runlevel. Is here where your hdparm are applied... I don't see nothing wrong...

I think that you must take a look at you hdparm config file, becuase you're using this flags for all your disks, but you have also DVD-ROM and a DVD-RW driver...
Braempje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoshi Assim wrote:
I think that you must take a look at you hdparm config file, becuase you're using this flags for all your disks, but you have also DVD-ROM and a DVD-RW driver...

That's not really a problem: the new hdparm script speeds up that hardware too :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: