128-bit WEP configuration?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtrunnell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:54 am    Post subject: 128-bit WEP configuration? Reply with quote

Has anyone configured their wireless card to work with a 128-bit wireless encryption protocol (WEP)? Where do you put your key? What config files to edit? Or, should I pass an argument to the card with insmod?

TIA,
Matt
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts Reply with quote

If you are using the pcmcia-cs package (kernel drivers or package drivers), then
1)
Code:
emerge wireless-tools

2) edit /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts as appropriate
3) stop-start your pcmcia system

I actually backed up the file, and created my own; too many examples in there made the file difficult to quickly read. However, you should be able to create a nice group of settings for your card with the examples provided.

Be aware that the pcmcia-cs package uses iwconfig from the wireless-tools packge to initialize the wireless settings, so you will need that package.

Oh, I almost forgot: the setting in that file you are looking for is
Quote:
KEY=0000-0000-00
or something of the like. The file offers lots of examples.
Banjo Gentooie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, except that is the 40 (64) bit key. A 104 bit key (128) is

xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx

You can use s:String to generate a key, however this doesn't generate the same key as putting a string in Windows does.

Incidentally, I got better results with wlan-ng than with wireless tools and orinoco_cs. I'm considering making an ebuild for this but it won't be easy as it depends on built kernel sources and also pcmcia-cs sources.
mtrunnell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banjo Gentooie wrote:
Yes, except that is the 40 (64) bit key. A 104 bit key (128) is

xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx

Is it necessary to put the dashes in there?
Banjo Gentooie wrote:

You can use s:String to generate a key, however this doesn't generate the same key as putting a string in Windows does.

Um, what do you mean by 'generate'? Do you mean 'specify'? My key line looks like:
KEY="s:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
Banjo Gentooie wrote:

Incidentally, I got better results with wlan-ng than with wireless tools and orinoco_cs. I'm considering making an ebuild for this but it won't be easy as it depends on built kernel sources and also pcmcia-cs sources.

Well, while an ebuild would be great, a detailed howto would be almost just as good. People have posted conflicting instructions on how to use pcmcia_cs or wlan-ng, and what the differences are regarding gentoo's support of either. I can't find it spelled out anywhere very clearly.

I would be more than happy to work with you to make a WEP HOWTO once I get things working.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: