root password / access gone after update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herodot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: root password / access gone after update Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a small intranet webserver on my LAN. I only connect to it with ssh, as it's placed somewhere akward and doesn't have a monitor. Yesterday I did an "emerge -u world", and today I can no longer log in with ssh. It's still running fine, and the emerge is over. I don't know exactly what got updated, but it was only small things and minor updates, or I wouldn't have done it all at once.

What can I do?
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to login as a normal user (you do have some non-root accounts, do u ? ;), then try su - (if that user belongs to group wheel)

if nothing helps, use the folowing procedure to reset the root password (oh, u need to attach a monitor first ;)

reboot the machine, and in add "init=/bin/sh" to your command line in grub or lilo

then use "mount / -o remount,rw"
then "passwd root" - set the new password, maybe run "sync" to flush the filesystem
then remount the / read-only again with "mount / -o remount,ro" and reboot your computer (just hit reset after you did remount it ro)
jlg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guess is you updated ssh and that by default the new sshd_config disables root to login from ssh
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: