Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is is really hard to program proper transparancy?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crunchtime
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Is is really hard to program proper transparancy? Reply with quote

I've noticed a lot of linux programs use this faux transparency effect, were it updates itself against the background. However nice this looks in screenshots, to me it looks like a cheat.

Whats the problem with programming proper transparency?
sn4ip3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Xfree86 would have to have hardware support for it, but currently if I'm not mistaken, it doesn't. And even if there would be hardware support, not all gfx cards could be supported, so some ppl would have nice fast transparency and some wouldn't :P.

btw. I remember something about someone making a window manager (or something like that), which supports openGL (and all the features that are easy to use in OpenGL, like transparency)
fca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see: this thread for a working real transparent X server.
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is hard. Especially since XFree does not have extentions for it, true transparency is not possible with the current X server.

The way programs like KDE (With keramik) etc... do it, is they get the dimensions and position of the object to be made transparent, then before the object is shown, a snapshot is taken of the desktop (including other programs) underneath it then that picture is blended with the object to be displayed.

Cute, but moving objects (e.g. scrolling text) don't work underneath that kind of transparency. If your keen, you could try xdirectfb where transparency can be altered per-program using the scroll wheel!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: