Redirecting stdout and/or stderr after the fact
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmohs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Redirecting stdout and/or stderr after the fact Reply with quote

I understand how to redirect stdout and stderr from the command line when I execute something. However, I am occasionally in the position where I begin executing a long command and I would like to redirect output AFTER that execution has begun.

Can you tell me if this is possible at all and, if so, how I would go about doing it? I'm generally a bash user.

Thanks.
kopfarzt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that it is possible, at least I don't know how.

Depending on the reason for your question, you might be interested in "screen". I always use it for longer builds, because you can "detach" (CtrlA-CtrlD) it, open a log file at any time (CtrlA-H) and watch your detached session from different locations (home/work, screen -r -d).

Another way is to redirect output from the beginning and attach to the logfile with tail -f at any time you want to check "live".

Not really what you asked for, I know...

kopfarzt
credmp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kopfarzt wrote:
Another way is to redirect output from the beginning and attach to the logfile with tail -f at any time you want to check "live".

And yet another way is to use tee for this....
Code:
command --verbose | tee file
this will write the output to the file 'file' plus it will display the output on the screen...

regards
dmohs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Forethought required Reply with quote

I talked with a friend of mine also and I do believe that you are correct - redirection must occur when the command is executed. It cannot be "attached" afterward.

I actually used the "tail -f" method on a different ebuild. I really like this one because when I exit tail, I don't get screen output - which can slow things down a bit on verbose commands.

Thanks for your replies.

-dm
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: