udev removes /dev/sda* on boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightyhal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: udev removes /dev/sda* on boot Reply with quote

I was having this problem before, and banged my head against my Blade 1000 for two days, and then gave up and mke2fs -j my drives and started over with my install (3rd attempt on this machine). But, for some reason, udev still is not behaving.

Following the sparc manual (I can get through it in about an hour now!) I compiled a kernel by hand (gentoo-sources, 2.6.15-r2), nothing funky in it. Installed SILO, and the kernel boots fine (besides a strange message about not being able to read the NVRAM of my SCSI controller). On boot, I get the VFS: mounted ext3 and that goes fine...

Before rebooting from the LiveCD (running devfs), I carefully

emerge --unmerge devfsd
emerge udev

And I think that is what I did wrong... I'm getting the feeling that I shouldn't have, right?

I can get to the login prompt,-provided that my /etc/conf.d/rc has the static tarball option turned on. If it's
turned off, I get the "udev populating /dev" message, but then it fails with a "fsck.ext3 bad superblock" message, dumping me
(ever so helpfully) to a readonly root (which is on my sda1 partition). Looking at the /dev directory, none of my sda* or sdb* partitions show up, which would explain why fsck fails =)

If I reboot from CD, and mount the partition and check /mnt/gentoo/dev it is filled with wonderful sda1 and sda4 and the like... which seems to imply that when udev tries to populate the /dev directory, it is wiping out the wrong nodes...

I've tried emerging coldplug and rc-update add coldplug boot, but that doesnt seem to help--in fact, I cant tell it even runs.

I would have been able to live with a static /dev folder, except that the static one doesnt have lp0 in it... and darnit, I want to print.

If you need any excerpts from files or the like, I can post them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
mightyhal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: udev removes /dev/sda* on boot Reply with quote

So, I'm glad to say iot's not my fault =). Turns out that baselayout-1.11.14* (which udev depends on) is broken!

There is a pretty good thread about this problem, under "Other Things Gentoo" with the subject: "suddenly no /dev/hda3 after update?" (I don't have the link, sorry)

In short, the solution is to boot from LiveCD, chroot like the install onto my root partition, and downgrade baselayout to version 1.11.13*:

[boot from CD]:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/gentoo/var
mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/gento/usr
chroot /mnt/gentoo

env-update
source /etc/profile (just to be safe)

echo "=sys-apps/baselayout-1.11.14*" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

emerge baselayout
exit
reboot

And now it all works like a charm.
Hopefully, I'll be able to get X working now too!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: