Parallel Port Printing Problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug_M
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Parallel Port Printing Problem Reply with quote

Ok, fun with the subject aside, I can't seem to print from my Ultra 10 to my Okidata Okipage 6e via the parallel port. I've read the few threads already discussing this problem, and no one seems to have come up with a solution.

Here's a snippet from dmesg

Code:
parport0: PC-style at 0x1fff13043bc (0x1fff13047bc), irq 7106880, dma 0 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP,DMA]
parport0: Printer, OKI DATA CORP OKIDATA OKIPAGE 6e
lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

As you can see, the parallel port and the printer attached to it are recognized at boot. I'm using CUPS. I've experimented with the settings for this printer in CUPS. Each time I tried printing a test page. I don't get an error, but the page never prints. The status light on the printer doesn't so much as blink either.

In a previous thread of the same problem, it was suggested to check that the printer is indeed plugged into the parallel port and not the D25 serial port. So I've checked that too. Anyone now what's going on here?

Thanks,
Doug
MEW
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a diagnostic, try printing some text manually. Run something like
Code:
echo "BlahBlahBlah... Some text to waste paper, kill trees, and take over the world :P... MUAHAHAHAHAHA... Ok, I admit I'm crazy... " >/dev/lp0
If it's working properly, it will send the data to the printer, which will then wait for a pagefeed command. Since I'm too lazy to look up the escape code for a pagefeed for that printer ;), press the pagefeed or continue button on the printer.
Doug_M
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mew, that worked, sort of. This printer doesn't have any buttons other than power because Okidata figured they'd save 5 cents per printer by replacing buttons with DOS and Windows software.

Anyway, I tried your suggestion and the activity light on the printer started blinking, as it does when it has received a print job. I still can't print though! It's weird, the printer is detected on the parallel port.

This particular printer emulates Epson 80 series printers and HP LaserJet 4 series printers (and some other type). I've tried CUPS drivers for both as well as the recommended driver from foomatic. All with the same result, nothing.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kernel are you using?
Doug_M
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally if you can't cat or echo anything to /dev/lp0, then there is probably a driver issue. If I recall correctly, there have been some mention of problems with the parallel printer support in the last year or so.

Not sure if 2.6 kernels have this issue or not. Chances are on an Ultra 10, you'd be OK running 2.6, though you'd have to unmask a kernel package (vanilla-sources or gentoo-sources) via /etc/portage/package.keywords first.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: