Can't open boot device, after install - Sun Ultra 10 -
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocGramps
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Can't open boot device, after install - Sun Ultra 10 - Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Machine - Sun Ultra 10 (UltraSPARC-IIi) upa/pci
Openboot - 3.11
Gentoo - 2.4.32
Diskd - IDE only (10.something GB)

Firstly, I've searched Google for the past 3 days, probed through this site and followed the install guide twice on the Gentoo site - to the letter. Raided the Silo website and nailed the SUN documentation. And I'm still not getting anywhere.

Basically, I can boot from the CD from the PROM, and then I can install any SPARC distro. Fine. Silo.conf is set up as recommended (to the letter, except for I'm using hdb, not hda) both using the example file and from scratch. Fine. But when I reboot and try and boot from the disk I get:

Boot device: disk File and args:
Evaluating: boot

Can't open boot device.

Every FREAKING time
I get the same for boot disk1 and just disk.

Fdisk in Gentoo is saying that the Sundisk label thingy is as it should be. I can't possibly think what else I'm doing wrong.... I guess it doesn't help that I've never used a SUN machine until the other day. Has anyone got any clues they could give me to help me on my way to sorting this out - I'm looking like a total n00b and my collegues are laughing at me :p

Thanks
DocGramps

*edit

I've tried the whole range of boot disk:c :d :e etc, and now I can only boot from the Gentoo install disk, debian and redhat have given up the ghost. Giving the same error as above.

I reckon it must be something mega simple, but I have no idea of where to start looking. Please can someone leave me a url or a clue or something please please please.
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, Gentoo on U10 is not uncommon, so what you want to do should be possible.
At the ok prompt, you can enter the printenv command, which will show you the current environment (including boot-device, which is what a simple boot command will try to boot from).

Then, devalias will show device aliases (typically, what cdrom, disk, disk0, disk1, disk2, ...) are actually set to. Then, show-devs will show you every device on your system (so, cdrom should be an alias for one of them, disk for another, and so on). (I think there is a show-disks command, but I don't have good documentation handy to verify.) One of these devices should be the disk you want to boot from, and there should be a devalias already set up for it. That alias is what you want to boot. (As I say, I think there is a show-disks command which can give you some shortcuts; I just don't have all the information handy.)

If none of this works or makes sense, you can get information reasonably quickly on the #gentoo-sparc freenode IRC channel (see http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/irc.xml for information). If this is impossible, you can also get information by joining the gentoo-sparc@gentoo.org mailing list and asking there. See http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml for details.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I do not have a U10 running Gentoo right now, so I can't play with one to see what might be going on. But as I said, there are quite a few of them around, and anyone with a U5/U10 system should be able to give you better answers.

Good luck,
Regards,
riposte
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I dont know if this will help but on my Ultra10 the command from the OK prompt is simply "boot".

If you havnt found it already the is a great bit of Gentoo documentation on the OpenBoot prom here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-sparc-obpreference.xml

HTH
DocGramps
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks for helping out so far. I can get access to IRC without really medling with the firewall and soforth, which I'm not sure is a good idea....:D

I'm still having no joy.

I've just tried starting again from complete scratch, but I'm still flapping around in circles like a muppet on speed.

Tried erasing the whole disk, deleting the sun partition and rebuilding it. Tried the quick-setup, the drawn out setup, the CD install, the net install.....all I want to do is make a semi decent IDS!!!! (I've been at this for over a week now).

Is there any way I could install silo to a cd to boot into my hdd? Because that's all that I have left as a solution. What information would i need to find out in order to do this? Would copying the silo.conf on the CD have any effect?

Is the problem likely to be related to the fact that my IDE disk is on the secondary slave channel, would changing this to the Primary master have any effect? Also with it being on the secondary am I using the correct instruction: ok boot disk (or boot disk 1) with or without the :c flag? Is there a different disk command for the secondary slave? 8O

Sorry for being a pain and thanks in advance
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disk, disk0, disk1 and so on are just aliases to a boot path, they don't really represent anything and can be wrong if the machine had scsi, the ide disk on some other port or slave/master, or whatever.
The default devaliases are...
disk0 '/pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk@0,0'
disk1 '/pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk@1,0'
disk2 '/pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk@2,0'
disk3 '/pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk@3,0'
That assigns them to IDE port 0 master/slave and port1 master/slave.
riposte
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I meant to ask why you were using the secondary channel - are you trying to set up dual booting with Solaris or something?
I would try doing an install onto the primary master and see if that works. If it does maybe, if you need to, you can move it back to the secondary and boot using one of the aliases Gust4voz mentioned.

Did you try the command ok boot rather than ok boot disk?
vicz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Booting the right disk? Reply with quote

use boot disk0 for hda or boot disk1 for hdb - works OK for me on Ultra 10
korz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem on my Ultra 60. I was able to manually boot the machine with the command "boot disk"
You can use the command "setenv" to make the machine automatically boot from disk.

Frank
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: