Screen goes blank after 15 minutes.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pr0vidence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:12 am    Post subject: Screen goes blank after 15 minutes. Reply with quote

Hello all.

Just wanna say I think Gentoo is a fantastic distro. Keep up the good work.

Enough of that :)

When using my Gentoo box (or any other Linux distro for that matter), or, perhaps I should say, when NOT using my box (or maybe waiting many, many hours for something to compile), the screen will blank itself out after ~15 minutes. I would like to shut this feature off, does anyone know how? I have tried killing apmd, even shutting off power management at CMOS level. I don't know what's next.

Thanks all for the help.
DaemonCat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: 15 minute black out Reply with quote

It's a "term thing"! the variable is "blank". I'm using "BSD style init", (Slackware) so the setting is in /etc/rc.d/rc.M , which is the initialization script for the "multi user" modes. I assume that the Sys-V style has a similar script somewhare. The line to look for is:
/bin/setterm -blank 15
Simply comment it out by inserting a "#" at the beginning of the line, OR change the "15" to "0" and it's gone for everybody.
If you just want to disable it on a "per user" basis,
/bin/setterm -blank 0
at the command prompt after you log in should do it.
Check the manpage for "setterm" for all kinds of goodies!
man setterm
at the command prompt.
snowmoon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xset -dpms

might also work.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other possibilities:There might be a problem with this during installation as noted in Setterm Set During install to stop screen blanks?.
msalerno
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should do the trick:

Code:
echo "setterm -blank" >> /etc/conf.d/local.start
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

setterm -blank -powersave off -powerdown
david9999
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason my screen goes blank when I have no activity. I have screen saver set to two hours and "active screen saver when idle" unchecked. I also have power-management disabled.

I've noticed this behavior when using totem but not sure if it's just with this program or not. It goes out during a movie and I have to touch the mouse to bring the picture back. Any ideas?
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a way to block blanking in Linux (currently) fx.during media playing. You can change the period in the system setting, but a signal to not start blanking during continuous media is still missing it seems or at least not well defined.
There is many good media applications and libraries out there (VLC, Kodi ... just to mention a few), so I think distros lacking this feature, makes it hard to consider at least most distros good platforms for Media Centers. (At least I haven't heard of any implementation to do this). In Windows there is a feature that can block the blanking and sleep of normal system behavior. The exact behavior I think most users miss, is partly illustrated by the usage and description of https://dlaa.me/Insomnia/. Don't misunderstand me, I love Gentoo and this laptop gave up Window somewhere during Window 7 when Microsoft decided everything looked better if the system memory and cpu was eaten by useless .net and security updates that was meant to solve problems that should have been fixed in a way that didn't hurt performance of the overall system. Ah well considering the stripping of the last traces of any skin in Windows 10 it doesn't really matter. Gentoo is the place to be now.
Hehe sorry about that. Windows is properly okay. But I do think there is a long dark path from Windows NT to Windows 10 that shouldn't have been taken. Microsoft come many good improvements along the way. Personally I don't really feel they develop the system as an OS any more. And I think there is a big issue with drivers in every OS upgrade, that mostly mean you have to do new investments again and again.
When it comes to Linux, I think the best thing that could have happened was what Linus did for Minix and the cross development in the years to come.
Gentoo have truly continued in that spirit. I'm not entirely sure where the blanking should be blocked. Kernel/driver, X, desktop, tool like laptop_mode or some combination. I think the later, which might explain why there isn't a common implementation.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k9dog wrote:
I don't think there is a way to block blanking in Linux (currently) fx.during media playing.

Works fine in mpv.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some media players simulate pressing a key on a relatively short interval, which blocks screensavers (and other "user iddle" triggers)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpv just calls `xdg-screensaver suspend`, which in turn runs... xset. As you can see from the replies from 14 years ago in this thread, we've had a solution to this for quite a while...
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Some media players simulate pressing a key on a relatively short interval, which blocks screensavers (and other "user iddle" triggers)

Thanks for the information. Nice to know that there at least is a used work-around, even if not all players implement it. At least it is a place to start. :) I feel like Linux has become a more user friendly environment over the last decade,so not too unlikely we'll get a more native method eventually (I guess the keypress work-around is fine until then). I guess we'll just need to ask developers to incorporate it more widely until the system does :) Just have to reninbd them to only do it while videos are actually playing.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.
Also, I recently had to find a way to suppress screensaver for players that do _not_ simulate keypress, and I found a few switches for xset.

'xset q' prits current settings
'xset s 0' disables screensaver (you can reenable it later by setting a non-zero timeout - value is in seconds)
'xset -dpms' disables power saving features, so your monitor will not suspend/power off. Enable it again with xset +dpms.
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently found that most video players use screen savers own mechanism to prevent going to sleep without any emulation of keystrokes. I dont think many players use keystroke emulation (as in xdotool).
xscreensaver uses a command "xscreensaver-command -deactivate" to reset timer.
By running the command an interval shorter than the time where screensaver starts you can prevent screensaver from blanking screen. Just like suggested for xdg-screensaver.

I now made a script that will prevent the xscreensaver from initiating any screen saver or power save. Named insomnia after Windows program of the same name.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

export DISPLAY=:0

while { /usr/bin/xscreensaver-command -deactivate &> /dev/null ; sleep 30; }; do :; done

(Rewritten to match what Hu said in next post. I was still composing and wanted to include it in post :) Thanks Hu)

The DISPLAY=:0 is just so I can run from console on another machine. It does require me to be logged on the X based platform as same user where I want to inhibit the xscreensaver. You can replace the statement of xscreensaver-command with "xdg-screensaver suspend" for that screensaver. Method is better than simulating the keypress with xdotool for fx. netflix as pressing shift also makes control bar appear on netflix.

I believe the package caffeine does much the same thing. I am not sure if you can tell caffeine which screen saver you use. It failed to work on one machine, but it worked on another of mine. (Might work after I reinstalled xscreensaver. caffeine said it tried to run inihibit for wrong screensaver and obviously failed)

xset might be a level too low as I was talking about screen saving done by xscreensaver and the like. I know you can control screen power and blank screen with xset. In the early days I saw xset as a way to set options. It was pretty much limited to basic mouse-keyboard-screen stuff. Settings for screen saver also includes type of screen saver, so one level higher is where we need to control what happens.

Last edited by k9dog on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:45 am; edited 4 times in total
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k9dog wrote:
Code:
/usr/bin/xscreensaver-command -deactivate &> /dev/null
while sleep 30 ; do /usr/bin/xscreensaver-command -deactivate &> /dev/null ; done
In the interest of DRY, this can be rewritten:
Code:
while { /usr/bin/xscreensaver-command -deactivate &> /dev/null ; sleep 30; }; do :; done
You could use sleep as the body instead, but then killing sleep would not count as an error condition.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k9dog wrote:
The DISPLAY=:0 is just so I can run from console on another machine. It does require me to be logged on the X based platform as same user where I want to inhibit the xscreensaver.

k9dog ... in which case it might be a good idea to test this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
set -e
_xpid="$(pgrep -n X)"
_xuser="$(ps -o user --no-headers $_xpid)"
_display="$(egrep -aoz ':[0-9](.[0-9])?' /proc/$_xpid/cmdline)"

if [ -n "$_display" ] ; then
    export DISPLAY="$_display"
else
    echo "No display found"
    exit
fi

if [ "$(whoami)" = "$_xuser" ] ; then
else
    echo "fooey!! ... display is currently in use by $_xuser"
fi

Note that the above requires X be runing non-suid (otherwise, as Hu pointed out in another thread, '$_xuser' will return 'root'), so keep that in mind.

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: