Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Do you want initscripts in Python?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you see any benefits of re-writing initsrcipts to Python?
Yes, I see mostly benefits
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
No, I see mostly disadvantages
37%
 37%  [ 22 ]
I see both benefits and disadvantages
24%
 24%  [ 14 ]
I don't care what language is used in initscripts
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
Yes, let's re-write them, but to another language
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Don't touch initscripts, no matter what benefits
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 58

axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Do you want initscripts in Python? Reply with quote

Recent GWN pointed to very interesting mail-list discussion of gentoo developers about cons and pros of having initscripts on Python.

While developers pay more attention on development issues, it would be interesting to know the opinion of broader gentoo masses, let's say, of non-ebuilding or not-regularly-ebuilding users :)
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, supposing you make a mistake or, less likely, portage hoses itself and python. I've done it. Countless others have done it. Remember the whole range of issues when glibc went from 2.2 to 2.3? Those issues all killed python.

If the init scripts were in python, you'd be up sh1t creek without a paddle. Well, not that bad, but you'd certainly have to use a boot disk to recover your system, rather than be able to do it directly.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
duff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no point in using Python for init scripts. Thier main function is to spawn new processes (ie.starting daemons), and a bash script is perfect in that case.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see both good and bad... I mean we could go do a lot cool stuff with the init scripts - I'm thinking it might be possible to do something clever in a few lines to help people like me who switch networks on our laptops between reboots (school and home fx.) - python might makes this easier - and more fun

on the other hand it might create havoc, and we don't want that.
Jarjar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
Okay, supposing you make a mistake or, less likely, portage hoses itself and python. I've done it. Countless others have done it. Remember the whole range of issues when glibc went from 2.2 to 2.3? Those issues all killed python.

If the init scripts were in python, you'd be up sh1t creek without a paddle. Well, not that bad, but you'd certainly have to use a boot disk to recover your system, rather than be able to do it directly.

That is also why I voted no. I sure love python, it's my favorite language almost before C, though I don't think it would be wise to use it here.
Elay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be good if we lived in a perfect world. But Murphy lives as we all know.
It would break compatibility and habits.
my 2 cents :roll:
panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about OOP of Python? Would it be any good to have classes inheriting from more abstract classes common methds and properties of their behaviour? Honestly, each time I see the mess in /etc I want to re-write it to something more structured.

The only problem stops me (besides availability of free time) is that every daemon and utility wants to have own format of config files. So, at first the configuration facility must be created (aka LDAP), then it's API must be published and standardized. Then we should wait when all (most of) tools will be re-written to use such a configuration facility. Then we can re-write /etc (not only /etc/init.d).

Alternatevly, we can see how it's done with famous linuxconf. That configuration tool has own database and own UI to change it. Once you change something then it will generate actual config file and save it /etc. BTW, linuxconf handles initscripts as well. So, if we talk about porting something like linuxconf into Python and Gentoo than I am in support of it and eager to take a part.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have some good points there panserg. Although maybe I'm being influenced by your uber cool avatar.

Anyway...

Yeah, OOP might be nice although I doubt it would be *that* handy since most initscripts vary somewhat and the shared parts are really fairly minor.

Perhaps having it as part of a Gentoo-ised linuxconf would be cool.

I liked Lovechild's point the best:
Lovechild wrote:
I mean we could go do a lot cool stuff with the init scripts - I'm thinking it might be possible to do something clever in a few lines to help people like me who switch networks on our laptops between reboots (school and home fx.) - python might make this easier

Although the above example is probably possible using bash script.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was all I had up my hat at the moment, but I think we could get some pretty advanced stuff in our initscripts, and almost for free..
panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among "cool" thing requiring Python's "coolness" I would enlist at least:

1. starting daemon concurrently with run-time dependency control: it doesn't actually matter in which order they are started, it does matter that they depend on each other, python threads can work very good here;
2. fine-grained status control, i.e. BIND might be started, but it's still didn't cache its secondary zones, which are needed for some services, same for LDAP (service using local user are ok to start, but services using remotely cached users must wait), same for AFS (don't start apache yet if AFS did not sync FS with the doc root);
3. transactions: some changes in config files must be atomic, to avoid inconsistency (like, create the user and it's group in /etc/hosts and /etc/group at once);
4. version control of configuration values: should we keep dreaming about it or should we do something? Personally, I'd like to rollback changes several steps back. Also I'd like to have mulitple versions of some values - just for testing.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do this using CVS very easily

panserg wrote:

4. version control of configuration values: should we keep dreaming about it or should we do something? Personally, I'd like to rollback changes several steps back. Also I'd like to have mulitple versions of some values - just for testing.

axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
You can do this using CVS very easily

The problem of CVS is its atomicity. Actually, there is no atomicity in CVS and that's the problem. Subversion has atomicity, but will be certainly an overkill for this task as it has many features, which are not needed for base system scripting. I wouldn't consider Subversion just as it is in very early alpha - not good for a critical part of a stable OS. Besides, Subversion or CVS solves versioning but left a quick search in repository unsolved. Also, both are not designed for object persistency, which we would like to have in Python scrypting.

I may try to recommend to consider standalone ZODB: superfast transactional OODB for Python persistency with versioning. ZODB originally was designed to be embeded, so it should work better for OS needs than conventional RDBMS. It's well designed and have: Support for concurrent threads of execution, Well-defined storage interface with integrated transaction support, Two-phase commit, Integrated versions and sub-transactions. ZODB is based on Python and Berkley-db - both are quite stable enough for this task. ZODB is a stable DB product and used in many high traffic Zope-based web-servers.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh, i see no disadvantages, but initscripts sure seem like what bash was intended for.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course init-scripts would be cleaner and (hopefully) easier to understand.
but I think the disadvantages are too important:

• init-scripts are a critical part of the system, errors can be fatal
  • a huge amount of work for developers
  • python would become a critical component for the base system (currently it's important, but not critical, you can run the system without it)

panserg wrote:
How about OOP of Python? Would it be any good to have classes inheriting from more abstract classes common methds and properties of their behaviour? Honestly, each time I see the mess in /etc I want to re-write it to something more structured.

Why does everone think that OO is the solution(tm) ? If I look at the current initscripts there are not many similarities that are not already put into runscript.sh or functions.sh. And I definitively don't think of init-scripts as objects (BTW, my favourite programming language is Java, closely followed by C).

Quote:
The only problem stops me (besides availability of free time) is that every daemon and utility wants to have own format of config files. So, at first the configuration facility must be created (aka LDAP), then it's API must be published and standardized. Then we should wait when all (most of) tools will be re-written to use such a configuration facility. Then we can re-write /etc (not only /etc/init.d).

Reminds me of the Windows registry. The idea of a uniform and structured /etc is appealing in theory, but plain text files are just too damn easy to edit. In terms of overview and correctness the current situation is a mess, but to change this a new OS has to be created (as you described above), and then we can use an OO-based filesystem as well, so we don't need config files anymore.

Quote:
Alternatevly, we can see how it's done with famous linuxconf. That configuration tool has own database and own UI to change it. Once you change something then it will generate actual config file and save it /etc. BTW, linuxconf handles initscripts as well. So, if we talk about porting something like linuxconf into Python and Gentoo than I am in support of it and eager to take a part.

Past tense is more appropriate here. linuxconf was deprecated by Redhat since 7.x and has been completely dropped in 7.3 I think in favor of many little config tools. The problem with tools like linuxconf or Yast are unexpected changes by the user. Either they are overwritten by the tool or the tool has problems changing something in a user-modified file. I have to admit that recent Yast2-versions (I hate it :evil:) seems to do a good job on that.
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.I.S.S.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: