Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
how to boot a MAC OS X system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eleanor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: how to boot a MAC OS X system Reply with quote

Is it possible to boot MAC OS X SYSTEM. I tried to install not on primary partition and the thing is that always sth isn't working.

So I add that in grub.conf:
Quote:
title=Macintosh OS X86
rootnoverify (hd1,2)
makeactive
savedefault
chainloader +1
boot

And the problem is that grub doesn't boot the system with these options. Does boot even recognise hfs+ filesysttem or not? Maybe that is the problem?

Will this work if I add tiger.iso to the /dev/hdb3 partition and then set the options in grub.conf so that iso file will be booted? How to do that?
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo to Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X).
dmsnell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This worked for me, Mac OSX was on my second hard drive

Code:

title=Mac OSX
root (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
boot
eleanor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you man, this really helped me.

Now I am curious about some preferences in MAC OS X. Do I have to use that desktop and that window manager. I'm used to the kicker (and there were all the windows I had opened in there), so is it possible to install that kind of a kicker?

And one more question. Where can I change resolution because I was used to 1024x1280 and it is reallz bothering me that all windows and icons are so big. And I am not able to use slovenian language keyboard, where to change that?

In gentoo linux I just edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf and that was it, but I do not know how to do it here?
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about your second batch of questions: click apple->system preferences

you can change the screen resolution in "hardware->displays" and your keyboard layout somewhere around "personal->international->input type"

that is what you'd be doing on an ibook, i suppose x86 mac os will be the same :D

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
eleanor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this already before and I'm not satisfied. Some of the keys are not working, like /, z, y, ' and some other but are irrelevant. SO do you know how to fix it?

And I am not able to change the display settings. Now it is 768 x 1024, but I want 1024 x 1280. How that is done.

And one new problem. I don't have any of the soundcards detected (I run tiger MAC OS X for x86).

And one basic question. I installed gaim and now I don't know how to start it?
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eleanor wrote:
I did this already before and I'm not satisfied. Some of the keys are not working, like /, z, y, ' and some other but are irrelevant. SO do you know how to fix it?

And I am not able to change the display settings. Now it is 768 x 1024, but I want 1024 x 1280. How that is done.

And one new problem. I don't have any of the soundcards detected (I run tiger MAC OS X for x86).

And one basic question. I installed gaim and now I don't know how to start it?

eleanor, after activating the keyboard layout (and double-checking it's the right one), you may still need to select it as the current one. that can be done on the top right of your screen, left of your clock where the country flag sign is.

About the displays: I'm not sure how Mac OS detects proper screen resolutions, since it did things properly for me obviously since the iBook only has a TFT with three possible resolutions... =) the "detect displays"-button might help, or it might not... it's not running an X-Server though, so there's no file to edit about this...

Soundcards... likely there might not be drivers for your soundcard... Mac OS X is only intended for Macs and I suppose it would only include drivers for the cards apple includes in their devices. There might be additional drivers, but since the x86 version is currently only included on two devices from apple and neither of these allow for addon pci cards, I would doubt anyone has written drivers for other cards or ported drivers from the G4/G5 powermacs, since those were the only ones that could be upgraded with PC-hardware and drivers for the powermacs wouldn't work since they're for G4/G5-processors.

Starting GAIM: try starting your finder, then on the left side there's a tab that reads "Applications". You could doubleclick GAIM in there (as it should be there), or you could drag it from there to that fancy taskbar/quickstartbar-workalike to create a link for you to easily click. If you can't find where GAIM has been installed, use the search bar in the finder or Tiger's "spotlight"-feature (click the search icon in the upper right of your screen, or hit ... err... apple+space... that's probably alt+space on intel). Then just drag it somewhere....

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
vibrokatana
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the function keys remain the same on ppc and x86 systems. Usually on osx you can replace most windows(cough) shortcuts with apple(or windoz logo) instead of control.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: