Random rebooting on Dell PowerEdge 4600
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vxster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Random rebooting on Dell PowerEdge 4600 Reply with quote

Hello there :)

I have had Gentoo 1.4rc2 running perfectly on a PE4600 for more than 2 months. I have it on an assortment of other kit also. However, starting Friday, it has rebooted randomly 5 times in the last 5 days.

I check logs...nothing...klogd and syslogd show what you would expect from someone giving the machine a soft reset..no syncing of disks...nothing. Hence although it boots...its has had shredded filesystems. Rescuing from Gentoo CD with e2fsck took a long time...

Best part was when it just rebooted itself whilst compiling kernel...the whole dir is pretty much mashed :)

Anyways, of course Dell start blaming bad drivers, but experience says they just tend to hang the machine or crash...no randomly make the machine reboot. And generally bad drivers are noticed instantly you try and use them. Usually E13F5 errors and hangs with bad drivers.

Just wondered if anyone else has encountered problems with Gentoo and PE4600 or it is as it seems to me to be hardware problems...I am suspecting PDB.

Was about to make the machine live as a production machine last week after 2 months of perfect performance...lucky I didn't! :)

Anyone with any history/experience with this?
Vxster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, had system board and PDB replaced so hopefully it might be hardware :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: