Where the hell is my XFS?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Where the hell is my XFS? Reply with quote

Life used to be easy for me. I used gentoo-sources with xfs USE flag and
all my stuff except /boot was on XFS. Then the gaming-sources came and I figured I will check that out. This worked fine, but after a while I found that
ck patches made its way to the gentoo-sources and I missed a few features provided by the gentoo-sources. Here the fun starts. emerge gentoo-sources, cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r3, make menuconfig and where is my XFS?
Not there. Cat the changelog - nothing. Search the forums - nothing.
AAARRRRGHH!
WHY???
1;$x=JAPH->x;for(1..25){print&$x,;}__DATA__
Kt!ouf!fmIdf"$ts@ngqOq`jq
GojiraST
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you can still get the kernel patches for XFS support and apply them to the gaming-sources tree.

A question. I'm curious as to what the advantage of XFS is. I've written off ReiserFS due to bad experiences I won't go into. I haven't read any reviews of FS performance that cast XFS in a positive light. I'm using ext3 at the moment, and not having any real problems. Is XFS better in some way?

Obviously you need the patches to the kernel source because you're already using volumes formatted that way. Not trying to question the validity of your choices, just wondering the reasons for them. XFS seems to have a bit of a following here, and I'm sure there must be a reason I'm missing.
dma
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it supports ACLs for one...

Code:
dma@laureate:/alt$ mkdir test
dma@laureate:/alt$ getfacl test
# file: test
# owner: dma
# group: users
user::rwx
group::r-x
other::r-x

dma@laureate:/alt$ setfacl -m user:bin:rwx test
dma@laureate:/alt$ getfacl test
# file: test
# owner: dma
# group: users
user::rwx
user:bin:rwx
group::r-x
mask::rwx
other::r-x

Unfortunately, it doesn't let users define their own groups. :?

Other than that, I don't see any real benefits. I've heard that the whole FS can be destroyed if the journal gets corrupted.

Jeld: They intentionally removed the xfs use flag to make us unhappy or some reason (something about conflicts with kernel preempt or JFS or some other features I don't use). I'm still on linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r1 (with ptrace patch) because I'm too lazy to put xfs support back in the ebuild.

I'm using ReiserFS at the moment. It seems to work OK most of the time. However, performance downright sucks when doing "find" or when deleting thousands of files. Unfortunately, I do "find" quite a bit as part of security scans, etc.

When it comes to fscks, I'd really like to be informed as to files that are probably corrupted. I had to delete a file in /usr/portage/distfiles/ because it got corrupted due to a crash.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: