ACM USB modem won't work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: ACM USB modem won't work Reply with quote

I've got a USB modem that I'd like to get working, but I'm having trouble with it. It's an ELSA Microlink 56k Fun USB (hmm... Fun!).

I'm using linux-2.4.20-gaming, and according to the docs for the "acm" driver, by compiling the acm.o module and installing it, I should get a few device files in /dev/usb (thanks to devfs). I also ought to see things in /proc/bus/usb. /dev/usb is empty, and /proc/bus/usb doesn't even exist! dmesg shows no errors. Oh, I just did make menuconfig, make modules and make modules_install - I assume a new bzImage isn't required?

I've got usbcore compiled into my kernel, usb-uhci installed as a module (and being used by my USB mouse without a problem), but it's not working. I tried creating the device file myself as suggested (mknod /dev/usb/ttyACM0 c 166 0) but cat'ing it just gave me "cat: /dev/usb/ttyACM0: Invalid argument), so that obviously wasn't any good either.

Has anyone either got a USB ACM modem working, or any advice on what to do? Btw the docs for acm are found at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/usb/acm.txt (or wherever your kernel sources are :))

Many thanks in advance!
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been fiddling around and I'm wondering if there's something wrong with /proc, since when I do "ps -ax" it gives a warning about proc not being set-up properly.

Mind you, the driver and devfs wouldn't depend on /proc, surely?
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more googling gets some info, though it's not very encouraging.

It seems the ACM module has been tried and tested with the Elsa Microlink 56k USB modem, and it works fine, but the "Fun" version isn't really mentioned, except in a few passing references along the lines of: does anyone know if this works?

Could it be simply that the ACM module doesn't like the particular modem, or is there something else going on with the lack of entries in /proc/bus/usb?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: