web based chat room
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: web based chat room Reply with quote

Hi! At my work the security is so damn high that I can't get to anythign IRC =( is it possible to implement a webbased chat channel????
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, it is possible, and I have seen java applet based chatrooms. I think the really good one you have to buy a lisence, but I'll look in to our other options.

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: How about a Gentoo Server section Reply with quote

Desktop section is fine...so is the other ones. Do you think it might a descent idea to dedicate a section to things like using Gentoo for DNS, web server etc. I think this is not that big a deal...
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: CISCO VPN Client Reply with quote

Nitro,
I have emiled it to you :P . I think if many gentoo members want to use this great vpn client, then maybe we can make it a gentoo binary. I don't know how, illl probably have to read up on it and I don't think i have time to do that right now. If any other member wants this client, ( I also have for solaris, darwin ) let me know. Ill put it on my ftp.

Vijay Avarachen
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: How about a Gentoo Server section Reply with quote

Stalione wrote:
Desktop section is fine...so is the other ones. Do you think it might a descent idea to dedicate a section to things like using Gentoo for DNS, web server etc. I think this is not that big a deal...

Yeah, that's one of my stronger points too, was hoping people would post in the newer networking and security forum about those topic.

Stalione wrote:
I have emiled it to you icon_razz.gif . I think if many gentoo members want to use this great vpn client, then maybe we can make it a gentoo binary. I don't know how, illl probably have to read up on it and I don't think i have time to do that right now. If any other member wants this client, ( I also have for solaris, darwin ) let me know. Ill put it on my ftp.

I'm not following you....why are you talking about a CISCO VPN client in a topic about webchat? lol...Did I miss something? I got your email by the way too, don't know what I'm supposed to do with the client though. :)

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: DOH! Reply with quote

hahahaa....i am such a moron. Sorry that client was for someone else (see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=4733#4733) but I guess I had multiple windows open and I though you had requested the client. I am so sorry about that. But none the less making a gentoo binary out of it is not a bad idea. Silly me!
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I was wondering if Nitro, or other admins of this forum got a chance to find a nice web based chat. I really enjoyed being on the gentoo channel on IRC the other night, but since most of the time at work (IRC blocked) I wish I could joing a chat room over the web. I have seen a few solutions where you go over a web based client but it connects to an IRC channel. This would be a good solution and will be better than having two chatrooms going.
I managed to find few such solutions on freshmeat:
OpenWebChat
CGI:IRC
SmartIRC (this one is a PHP class)
MyPhpIRC
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you might want to look into httptunnel, which can for example allow you to tunnel SSH through port 80. This could allow you to reach your home computer from work, and then you could use IRC in a screen session. Rumor has it one of our admins uses a similar setup.
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

=) Rac that was my first thought too..but it was made very clear to be from day one at my work (corporate datacenter) that tunneling is strictly disallowed. My only remaining solution to fall back on is to ssh to my home box (but my dsl is very unreliable) and irc via that. I guess thats what ill do.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: