Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Help! Zippy apps that take forever to start!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirgotronix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:26 am    Post subject: Help! Zippy apps that take forever to start! Reply with quote

So I spent the last 24 hours starting from a stage one install all the way to emerging kde-base, and I noticed that while apps (console, X, or otherwise) run nice and fast after they load, it seems like it takes an act of congress for them to be able to start!

Example: After boot, I get a login prompt. I type in my username, and about 30 seconds later, "Password:" shows up.

I tried using nano, so I did, example, "nano -w somefile" and about 30 seconds later, nano started.

And the kicker: kdm. I type kdm, and wait, and wait, and five minutes later I get the standard X hashy bg, and after another minute the watch pointer. Five minutes after that, I got the default blue background image, and then one minute later, the kdm login prompt. No, I'm not exadderating (or however you spell that.)

Looking at top, my load averages are usually below 1.0, and my processor usage is almost never above 5%. Compiling KDE made it take it up to 99%, but only in small blocks of time, almost like the app had to ask for permission to run from an old, blind deaf man...

What gives?

Hardware config:

Athlon (K7) 600
768MB ram
hda is a 10GB ide drive, with the following:
hda1: /boot, 100MB, ext3
hda2: swap, 256MB, linux-swap
hda3: /, 9.somethin gigs, ext3
hdb is a Ricoh 8x8x32 CD-RW
3DFX Voodoo4 4500, a RealTech nic, and a Hercules Game Theatre XP sound card

Things I remember compiling into the kernel:
devfs, a few fs options for when I randomly mount drives, journeling support (for ext3), hardware drivers.

Any insight on why my zippy new gentoo box is slow like molass would be greatly appreciated. It's enough of a hassle to use that I'm back on debian at the moment, and I really want to get gentoo a chance!
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's disk I/O, though this would have to be an extreme case. Check the thread entitled "my harddrive performance is sucking" for tips.
jahgu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the install guide says something about making sure that ide support is compiled into the kernel. Also, check your USE flags, and make sure that you're using optimized flags (read the USE flag guide - it's short). This file is /etc/make.conf

'm running a 500mhz laptop and i've never seen it move like this...using a lightweight wm like fluxbox helps, something i've never done before.

other than problems emerging xmms, and xemacs due to some unresolved postgresql, and more specifically java, jdbc, ant problems i'm having a lot of fun. hence the name,
later,
jahgu
:? [/url]
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your USE flags and optimization settings wouldn't cause this bad of load times, but I'd be hard pressed to think of what would. But, make sure your IDE controller is compiled into the kernel, check how much free RAM you have (and how much RAM Linux thinks you have; cat /proc/meminfo), and run benchmarks on your hard drive(s) by running hdparm -tT /dev/hda.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall reading something about hostname resolution (or similar) and KDE speed issues.
I don't use KDE, so I don't remember exactly what it was. Since your problem is happening
at login, that may not be it.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hostname resolution wouldn't make nano take 30 seconds to start up...
vleisbom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hostname could and will make a diff. xfs uses it and causes some timeouts on programs using it (everything in kde)
Just add xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx hostname in your /etc/hosts file.

or if you use dhcp add this to your /etc/hosts file:

source /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.info
$IPADDR laptop.home.net laptop

Note that this is very crude, but it works for me :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this has nothing to do with my hostname, and where you people are coming up with this, I have noooooo idea...

my hosts file has everything worked out, local ip, external ip, fqdn and all.

I'm still trying to figure out where you people got the idea that nano starting up has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with my hosts file.

yea, ok.
dirgotronix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help if I'd remember to log into the forum when I post.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirgotronix wrote:
this has nothing to do with my hostname, and where you people are coming up with this, I have noooooo idea...

There was a post about three weeks ago that was made sticky for a while about making sure that your hostname was set properly because it would have a visible effect on the speed of your machine. However, I have to agree with delta407, and I don't think I noticed a speedup that drastic when I made sure my hostname settings were correct.
delta407 wrote:
Hostname resolution wouldn't make nano take 30 seconds to start up...

I'm still thinking on this one. I'll let you know if I think of anything. In the meantime, you might try the irc channel as found on http://www.gentoo.org
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: