Portage and Jail
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Portage and Jail Reply with quote

Is there any way to have portage support a chrooted environment? I would like to chroot apache (and all of the supporting packages that I need along w/ apache such as PHP, SSL, and MySQL) but I would like to have portage maintain the setup. Basically, in an ideal world I could type `emerge -u world` and have emerge update all of the software on my computer including everything that has been chrooted. Right now, the only thing that I can see to do is have a version of apache emerged to the normal system and use jail to update everything in the chrooted system as needed.

It would be really cool to have some chroot fields in /etc/make.conf (e.g. chroot_root, chroot_packages) and have all packages listed in the chroot_packages installed (with all needed libraries) to chroot_root. That way only one copy of the package is installed and everything on the system is automatically maintained by portage.

I can dream... is this even possible?
ixion
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet this would definitely be possible, but I'm sure it would take some work. To get things working in my chrooted environment I've just compiled them manually with ALOT of trial and error.

But if portage actually did the whole chroot thing, where would the fun be?!;)
magnet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted in a thread that may help you .
this describe how to run a testing version of gentoo in a chrooted environement with portage.

Quote:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=44147&highlight=magnet+chroot

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: