View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd post a link to an update of the LinuxGazette File system tests- I was one of people who emailed Justin and asked him to re-run his great tests with a new kernel (He used 2.6.14.4 for these). Apparently, I guess he used a default ext3, not using the dir_index and data=writeback (or journal_data) modes. I just changed all my Gentoo boxes to ext3 from reiserfs (with the ext3 tweaks), so I'd really be interested in having his tests run with those ext3 options, and see if there is significant improvement.

http://linuxgazette.net/122/piszcz.html

More ext3 info at:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-305871.html

These tweaks have worked very well on my boxes.
Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.30-r3, gcc-9.2.0 kernel-5.4.12-gentoo USE=experimental
ziggysquatch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the slowdown problem for apps starting up as this thread originally described. I checked the RAM and it was fine and I ran top and the CPU was hardly touched so I figured I would check out the solutions on this thread.

After reading about the reiserfs filesystem degradation problems that are the same as mine I started researching which filesystem to switch to. I used Ext3 before and was not impressed and that is why I used reiserfs as the main filesystem on my gentoo install. It was zippy at first but slowed down with time. My music partition uses XFS and I have had no problems with it so after researching and going around in circles with that research I decided that XFS was the most reliable and fastest (reading) filesystem I could choose.

The problem I had with XFS was that they say it is only worth it for large files but then I stumbled on someone who had formatted a partition and optimized XFS for average file sizes:
Code:
mkfs.xfs -d agcount=8 -l size=32m /dev/xxx

After backing up my / partition and formatting the partition to XFS with the optimizations and restoring / back I had an instant performance increase. Gentoo is just like new again.

I have a friend that is interested in switching his / partition to XFS as well but I told him to wait a couple of months to make sure that this fs does not suffer the degradation also. As for my music partition it has very little fragmentation on it after 9 months of constant writes to it.
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ziggyt7 wrote:
I had the slowdown problem for apps starting up as this thread originally described. I checked the RAM and it was fine and I ran top and the CPU was hardly touched so I figured I would check out the solutions on this thread.

After reading about the reiserfs filesystem degradation problems that are the same as mine I started researching which filesystem to switch to. I used Ext3 before and was not impressed and that is why I used reiserfs as the main filesystem on my gentoo install. It was zippy at first but slowed down with time. My music partition uses XFS and I have had no problems with it so after researching and going around in circles with that research I decided that XFS was the most reliable and fastest (reading) filesystem I could choose.

The problem I had with XFS was that they say it is only worth it for large files but then I stumbled on someone who had formatted a partition and optimized XFS for average file sizes:
Code:
mkfs.xfs -d agcount=8 -l size=32m /dev/xxx

After backing up my / partition and formatting the partition to XFS with the optimizations and restoring / back I had an instant performance increase. Gentoo is just like new again.

I have a friend that is interested in switching his / partition to XFS as well but I told him to wait a couple of months to make sure that this fs does not suffer the degradation also. As for my music partition it has very little fragmentation on it after 9 months of constant writes to it.

I use XFS everywhere where I can. Using the following mount options:
Code:
noatime,logbufs=8,logbsize=32768,ihashsize=65567

For defragmentation I use:
Code:
xfs_fsr

The only other FS I would use are:
  • JFS (using it on my laptop)
  • EXT3 (using it on some old i486/i586)

cheers

SteveB
EASYdoor
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've heared that alot about JFS & laptops, can someone explain why is JFS so appropriate for laptops?
Currently i'm having reiserfs defrag nightmare as well & i'm deciding beten ext3, xfs, jfs...what do u suggest?
revertex
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe NILFS could bring us some hope.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: