Grrr.... I am having some troubles
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaseb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Grrr.... I am having some troubles Reply with quote

Ok, my hosting company (featureprice.com) just screwed over thousands of ppl, me being on of them! So I am hosed with my web server and decided that it would be an adventure and a learning experience to run my own web server. I am not a complete newb. I have the usual certs and have even played in linux for a short period of time. But I am still learning, and I have quite a curve if I am to get a web server running in a few days! LoL, but yeah here are my problems......

Alright, I have redhat 8 (sorry its not gentoo :( )on a dedicated machine, and I am trying to install Apache. I am having troubles installing that, becuase I dont have a C complier! I downloaded GCC and I am not sure quite what to do :oops: What I am asking is how do I install GCC so that I can install Apache??? I have read the install file for GCC and it just doesnt make sence, I am in very foriegn waters here. Thanks for any help!
splooge
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) RedHat has a completely different packaging system than Gentoo. You're really asking in the wrong place.

2) You don't need GCC to install apache on redhat. But if you want it anyways, the RPM is on your redhat CD. You won't have much luck if you're a newbie and downloading the GCC source code and trying to compile it.

3) You're really asking in the wrong place.

4) rpm -Uvh /path/to/cd/RPMS/apache-whatever.rpm
fatcat.00
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Aha, no compiler Reply with quote

Well, what splooge said is right...since RedHat is a binary distribution, you don't necessarily need to compile Apache from scratch. You *should* be able to download rpm files for Apache (and gcc for that matter) and install them. If you instead want to go through some gyrations for some reason, read on...

Download the gcc rpm from RedHat's ftp site, and install like: "rpm -Uvh gcc*.rpm". Of course you may have unsatisfied dependencies which you will have to track down, download and install too. If you have to go through this rigamarole, you will quickly discover why there are so many "rpm refugees" that use Gentoo now 8O

With luck, you can do the same with an Apache rpm file BUT! if you are faced with an apache*.tar.gz file (meaning a source file), then simply unzip and untar (tar -zxvf apache*.tar.gz) and change to the directory where Apache untarred into. See if there is a "configure" script. If so, do this: "./configure --prefix=/usr/local". You may also want to do "./configure --help" to get a full listing of available options. Once you run configure successfully, you should have a "Makefile". Run "make" and then "make install" (as root). Then you get to configure Apache.

That is enough to get you started, assuming Apache uses standard GNU tools for making Makefiles and such. If it doesn't, none of this applies :)

Good Luck!

-- Fatcat
jsleeper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that happened to me before, not installing gcc on a redhat box (never will happen again, well the installing redhat part :wink: ).

There are about 10 rpms that you will have to find, and trust me redhat doesn't make it easy to find all of that stuff on their site. You gotta install the rpms since you can't compile! Makes you wonder - how did they compile the first compiler?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: