HPPA smp?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabinka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: HPPA smp? Reply with quote

Greetings to all!

I'm just wondering- whats the status on HPPA SMP support?

My K-Class machine is nearing completion now, and sofar I've got 6 200mhz Procs in it w/4GB RAM (still need drives & a power cable though). I was just wondering, will I be able to use SMP on this rig? It is a K570.

Cheers!
HPRichard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HPPA SMP in general works.
I did not find a success story for a K570, neither did I find someone stating that it does not work. It should be definitely worth it to try out.
dizzey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: it does work Reply with quote

havent tried it on k570 but i have a k460 with for cpus running should be the same kind of smp
dabinka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to work just fine over here.

Got the box running, sofar its pretty stable.

My only concern is that SMP doesn't seem as fast as I thought it would be- with 6*200mhz Procs and MAKEOPTS="-j7", GCC took over 7 hours to build. In particular when it runs the configure scripts (checking for <bla bla>...), it is painfully slow.

I'm not sure if its actually working or what- compiling the kernel took about the same time as on a Uniprocessor kernel.

The kernel does indeed find the 6 Procs, /proc/cpuinfo shows 6x 200mhz 899/K570 CPU's, and PDC shows all 6 units as functional. The box is sucking up the amperes and generating some heat, so they are doing something...
LasseKongo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Kernel config Reply with quote

Could you please post your kernel .config file, I have a K260 SMP which gives me kernel panic when using my own kernel, but it works fine with the UP kernel shipped with the Gentoo CD. I guess I must have done something wrong...

Thanks
Daniel
dabinka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post it as soon as I get the box back up (its down right now, since I'm setting up DistCC to speed things up).

Just out of curiousity- where is it panicing in the bootup? Is it right before the Login appears (Agetty)?
LasseKongo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to see, and I still haven´t figured out how to scroll back on my HP console.
However it is somewhere after scanning the SCSI buses and detectin the disk partitions, I´m afraid that is not to exact but ....
LasseKongo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a new kernel, 2.6.15-rc6-pa1, and now it boots up just fine with the same kernel config.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: