using raid ide channels for regular ide usage
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A_White2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: using raid ide channels for regular ide usage Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a Soyo p4x400 ultra platinum edition motherboard that has onboard highpoint raid. I've read on their site that yto use the 2 raid ide channels as regular ide channels, all you have to do is enable onboard raid, and don't put them in any kind of raid array. So i did that. when booting the kernel, it detects the drives, 1 maxtor 30gb and 1 maxtor 60gb, as hde and hde respectivly. but while partitioning the disks with cfidisk, while writing it takes a really long time, and when i close cfdisk, and the try to open it, it says it failed reading the device. after a reboot, i can cfdisk into it again, and it recognizes that partitions that i wrote onto it earlier, so i formatted it to reiserfs. that finished in a record SLOW time. but when i goto mount the drive, the command 'mount /dev/hdf1 /mnt/stuf' doesn't work and the command 'mount -t reiserfs /dec/hdf1 /mnt/stfu' gives me a INPUT/OUTPUT error.
Am i doing something wron, or is there a fix to this that i know nothing about.
Thanks
A_White2k
A_White2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump, i really need some help
plasmaroo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...

Why don't you stripe them? Then enable ATARAID support and use /dev/ataraid/disc0/disc to partition it. For that use /dev/ataraid/disc0/partZ to access partition #Z...

I hope you ARE using the Linux HighPoint drivers, right?
A_White2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really want to stripe the disks, these are just extra hard disks i have, i have a 120GB with gentoo installed on it, i just want to use my 60GB and my 40GB as extra storage. I don't know what you are talking about in the way of highpoint drivers. The install doc said enable these options for raid, i did that, yet they still aren't working. heck, i'd be happy not even having them in raid, but they are not being correctly read from the raid ide channels. Does anyone have the same problem i'm having. Can someone help me with this problem. I'm a semi-beginner and have been working with gentoo for the last 2 months, i just can't figure out this raid stuff. Please anybody, i'll take all the help i can get!

A_White2k
plasmaroo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then how are you accessing them? You should use /dev/hdX for cfdisking...

Anyway, do you have ReiserFS support enabled in the kernel, as it doesn't sound like that? If not, just use ext3 or build it into the kernel/module...

mke2fs -m 0 -J /dev/hdX#
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not using striping (raid0) or mirroring (raid1), you do not need the raid drivers in your kernel, but you DO need drivers for the highpoint chip :
Code:
ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support  --->
IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices  --->
[*]   PCI IDE chipset support
<*>     HPT366/368/370 chipset support

You can check dmesg to see if the controller is being detected properly.
A_White2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a 120GB harddrive that is using reiserfs, so i know its not the reiserfs problem. And i have that chipset support built into the kernel. its just when i try to mount thereis a input/output error
so something is not registering. I was in the gentoo irc chan, and someone said somthing about going to highpoints site, and getting new drivers because the ones in the kernel don't work. has anybody heard anything about that. does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks again,

A_White2k
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo-sources does not work properly with ataraid, I'm using ac-sources instead.
This should not affect you if you are not using ataraid, but switching kernel sources may be worth a shot anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: