Grub with PCI IDE card
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr-simon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Grub with PCI IDE card Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a PCI IDE card in my home server... It does hardware RAID but I'm not using it... I have my boot partition on hde3 and my root partition on hdf3... (both on the PCI card)

When I use grub, (installed into the bootsector of hda, wich is on the on-motherboard IDE) it installs fine but dies with an error 17 when trying to do boot stage 1.5...

Is this because grub does not understand PCI IDE cards? Or should I be able to do this?

lilo works fine, as the whole kernel ends up in hda, and can load support for my IDE card directly before trying to mount the root and boot filesystems.

It's not really a big deal because lilo works... I'm just curious.
ben_h
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll definitely work. I have grub running on my system, which has addon IDE (it's on the MB, but as far as grub's concerned it's a PCI card).

The problem usually is that grub is detecting your disks in a different order to what you're expecting. Maybe it detects a different order at boot to what it detects when you run 'grub' under linux.

have a look at 'info grub'. It explains Error 17:
Code:
17 : Cannot mount selected partition
     This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the
     filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.
So, you're probably just trying to mount a partition from the wrong disk - could be a swap partition or something.
mr-simon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right... There's a lot of Linux Raid Autodetect partitions in the machine, it could easily be getting hold of one of those.

I went through under Linux using the 'grub' utility and made sure that every partition as grub saw it made sense with what I thought it should be, and what was in my configuration files... But, yes if grub was detecting the drives in a different order at boot time, that would explain the discrepancy.

Next question is: How do I figure out what drives Grub thinks are which at boot time, if they're being reported differently when running grub under Linux?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr-simon wrote:
I have a PCI IDE card in my home server... It does hardware RAID but I'm not using it...

You didn't mention which chipset your RAID card uses ...
I've had the same problem using Highpoint RAID controllers. (with or without actually using RAID)
The problem is : Highpoint BIOS uses sector 9 on the disk for drive info, and this falls right in the middle of GRUB's stage 1.5
The solution : Use LILO, or install GRUB manually so that stage 1.5 ends up somewhere else.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: