View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeL
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just wanted to make sure that I was able to get the 2.6.14 kernel while installing, instead of rebuilding my kernel later.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your question worries me. this is an advanced/expert guide, and your question makes it sound like you're not at all familiar with using portage.

if you have problems with the Stage 1/3 Guide then I'll try to help, but if you have Gentoo Fundamentals problems i'll have to point you to the Forum, as the time that i have to offer support is limited.
prolific
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right now i have a new system built on gcc 3.3.5 running on x86... if i put ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" in my make.conf file and then do a emerge -u world, i know this will break the system a little bit .. after doing this will doing these two emerges fix everything?

emerge glibc binutils libstdc++-v3 gcc portage
emerge -e system && emerge -e system
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prolific wrote:
right now i have a new system built on gcc 3.3.5 running on x86... if i put ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" in my make.conf file and then do a emerge -u world, i know this will break the system a little bit .. after doing this will doing these two emerges fix everything?

emerge glibc binutils libstdc++-v3 gcc portage
emerge -e system && emerge -e system

if you follow the Guide, it will work.

if you deviate from the Guide, or your have a Gentoo question not related to the Guide I don't provide support.

Documentation Tips & Tricks is not a support forum. support for the Guide is available in the Support Thread, not here.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Stage 1/3 Installation Guide for 2005.0 and GCC 3.4.4 Reply with quote

becase we keep getting support requests in this thread instead of in the Official Support Thread, i'm just going to remind everyone...

Stage 1/3 Guide wrote:
13. If You Need Help

Remember: The Documentation, Tips & Tricks forum is not a support forum:

Quote:
Documentation, Tips & Tricks
Unofficial documentation for various parts of Gentoo Linux. Note: This is not a support forum.
Moderator: Global Moderators

Please bear in mind that this thread is located in the Documentation, Tips & Tricks Forum, which is not a support forum. For this reason I would like to ask that we limit the context of this thread to posts that discuss problems with the Installation Guide that need to be corrected, or to ideas about how to improve the Stage 1 on 3 installation procedure itself. If you have a problem and you need help, please post your support request in the Official 2005.0 Stage 1 on 3 for GCC 3.4.4 Support Thread in the Installing Gentoo forum.

NOTE: Documentation, Tips & Tricks is NOT a support forum. Please do not post installation support requests into this thread. Please post in the support thread that is dedicated to this installation method.

mtamizi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcc-3.4.4-r1 is now stable.
scharkalvin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So does this thread close up shop?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I think you're missing something. Gentoo marking GCC 3.4.4 into the stable branch doesn't make this installation method obsolete, because Gentoo is still distributing obsolete media that uses GCC 3.3.5 and doesn't support NPTL! You still need this Guide if you want to install from Gentoo media and end up with a decent toolkit.

Now what REALLY makes this Installation Guide obsolete is the Jackass! media. Ever since May 2005 when Jackass! 2005.0 was released people who use a Pentium-branded processor or an Athlon-XP processor have had no good reason to install from Gentoo media or to perform a Stage 1/3 install.
warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scharkalvin wrote:
Quote:

So does this thread close up shop?

I wouldn't think so. The stage files are still built with gcc-3.3.6, so the tool chain would still need to be rebuilt to build the system with gcc-3.4.4-r1. It could quiet this thread after Gentoo 2006.0 is released if gcc-4.x.x is not in ~arch by then, but should be back in full-swing after gcc-4.x.x becomes available in ~arch. It will be intersting to here what BobP has to say. :)

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
The best government is the government that governs least.
scharkalvin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gentoo is still distributing obsolete media that uses GCC 3.3.5 and doesn't support NPTL!

I guess none of the stage 3 tarballs have been updated to include the 3.4.4 compilier
which was built by a 3.4.4 compilier along with the rest of the system. (I should check
the date of the latest tarball on the mirrors.). Even if the tarballs WERE built
with the latest compilier I would have to set the nptl use flag and then
emerge -e --newuse world to get the same thing.

Looks like the upgrade instructions mirror your install method, but I think they left out
a final emerge -e world.
scharkalvin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked the on line package data base.

Seems gcc-3.4.4 and gcc-config no longer need the ~x86 keyword.

I'm not sure about libstdc++-v3, glibc, and binutils. They are all current,
but a newer ebuild is available for the same downstream source.

timezone-data is still masked and needs to be in the keywords file.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends which ebuilds you want. the only ebuild from the guide that has been marked stable this week is gcc. there are older versions of glibc that are marked stable, but i don't use them. you have to select timezone data, and pay close attention to what's going on with gcc-config and binutils.

in the big scheme of things, you don't need to edit package keywords and the guide doesn't need to be updated, but you can comment out certain ebuilds if you'd rather have older stable branch versions. its all a matter of user preference.

i am not surprised that the official gentoo recommendations "mirror" what i've been doing all along.
hadees
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
No. I think you're missing something. Gentoo marking GCC 3.4.4 into the stable branch doesn't make this installation method obsolete, because Gentoo is still distributing obsolete media that uses GCC 3.3.5 and doesn't support NPTL! You still need this Guide if you want to install from Gentoo media and end up with a decent toolkit.

Now what REALLY makes this Installation Guide obsolete is the Jackass! media. Ever since May 2005 when Jackass! 2005.0 was released people who use a Pentium-branded processor or an Athlon-XP processor have had no good reason to install from Gentoo media or to perform a Stage 1/3 install.

Okay I sort of get that but I still am not sure why you do this

Code:
sys-devel/gcc-config ~x86
sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 ~x86
sys-libs/glibc ~x86
sys-devel/binutils ~x86
sys-libs/timezone-data ~x86

What is the advantage to using the unstable versions?

I also read some of your other posts and was wondering why the stable toolkit couldn't be used with GCC 3.4.4 and using NPTL. Just from your warnings about unstable toolkits seems like using the stable version would be simpler. Is it just because you want the bleeding edege or is there really a preformance upgrade.

I was also wondering about your choice of CFLAGs, They are a tad aggresive and I was wondering your reasons for using some of them.

Don't take this thread the wrong way, I am guessing your are correct but I want to learn the reasons.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to pay attention to datestamps.
hadees
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, the last posts on this were just 5 days ago and I thought the questions made sense here since you had just posted about gcc 3.4.4. I know you have quite a few of these documentation threads and I thought I had looked at them all. Is there an answer to these questions other places?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is not a support thread or a support forum. we have a dedicated support thread that is actually a better place to ask support questions and to review the large repository of answers to support questions that have already been asked and answered.

i have to admit, i'm a bit surprised that people continue to ask for support in this thread in spite of the multiple repeated requests not to do so. the big red warning signs are even repeated right on this page. :roll: i just don't understand how people keep missing them. maybe they're just skipping around when they're reading the threads.

all of these questions have already been asked and answered in detail in the various Stage 1/3 theads. because i'm only one person and i'm spread rather thin with all of my gentoo related projects, i don't have the time to rehash all of these questions and answers that we have already covered in the past year. so instead of wasting alot of time retyping everything, i'll just refer people to the other versions of the Guide AND their Support Threads to research the answers to their questions.

one thing that people have to realize is that when I created the Stage 1/3 installation method and wrote the first Stage 1/3 Guide, it was a revolutionary new way to install Gentoo, and it was an ADVANCED method for ADVANCED/EXPERT users. that was A YEAR AGO.

now that Gentoo has done away with the Stage 1 install in favor of a Stage 1 on a Stage 3 tarball approach, my installation method has become a standard Gentoo installation method instead instead of my pet Advanced/Expert method. the good news is that the Community at large has become familiar enough with this method that Gentoo and the Community at large should have no problem answering anyone's support questions while I focus my attention on working on newer, more cutting edge projects.
nkmcc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Thanks for this guide :) Reply with quote

Thanks Bob - nice work. :D

-Neal
hadees
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Bob,

I really didn't think it was a support issue because I am not having trouble with my system, your install method worked prefectly :D

I just wanted to learn more about the reasons you did things the way you did. I will go reread your other support thread.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a big deal, i just try to keep this thread as short as possible so that people who are trying to follow the Guide aren't obliged to read alot of unnecessary stuff. if you post in the support thread, i'll try to help, but i have to admit that as my projectcount increases, i tend to pay less attention to the older projects that work so well that they are running on autopilot...

btw, here's a link to the first Stage 1/3 Guide in the series. The thread is so old that it may be hard to find, but its the best starting point:

Installing Gentoo 2004.3: Stage 1 NPTL on a Stage 3 Tarball
Gotterdammerung
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just passing by to thank the manual, it help a real lot.

[]'s
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: