libstdc++.so arts emerge error (gcc4)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vlad.Sharp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: libstdc++.so arts emerge error (gcc4) Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Off we go with installing gentoo. :D

I unmasked gcc 4.0.2-r1 and the corresponding glibc - emerge went fine, as did emerge -e system afterwards

After that I decided that I didn't need the 3.3.6 compiler, and unmerged it. Looks like the errors I'm getting are from that, so I emerge libstdc++-v3, but I still keep getting this one:

Code:
/bin/sh ../libtool --silent --tag=CXX --mode=link i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++  -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -O2 -march=pentium4m -pipe -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common  -ftemplate-depth-99    -o libmcop.la -rpath /usr/kde/3.5/lib -no-undefined -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined -version-info 1:0  -L/usr/kde/3.5/lib -L/usr/qt/3/lib -L/usr/lib    md5.lo libmcop_la.all_cc.lo   -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lgthread-2.0 -lglib-2.0   ../libltdl/libltdlc.la
i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [libmcop.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/arts-3.5.0/work/arts-1.5.0/mcop'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/arts-3.5.0/work/arts-1.5.0/mcop'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/arts-3.5.0/work/arts-1.5.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: kde-base/arts-3.5.0 failed.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line 173, Exitcode 2
!!! died running emake, kde_src_compile:make
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

Code:

[b]emerge --info[/b]
rr4dvd / # emerge --info
Portage 2.0.53 (default-linux/x86/2005.1, gcc-4.0.2, glibc-2.3.6-r1, 2.6.14-reiser4-r2-nosmp i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.14-reiser4-r2-nosmp i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.00GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.0_pre11
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5-r2, 2.4.2
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1-r1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.20-r1
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r3
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4m -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4m -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo ftp://ftp.rhnet.is/pub/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/gentoo/ http://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/gentoo/ ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/gentoo/ ftp://mirrors.blueyonder.co.uk/mirrors/gentoo http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/"
LANG="en_US"
LC_ALL="en_US"
LINGUAS="en_GB"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X a52 aac accesibility acpi alsa apache2 apm arts audiofile avi bcmath berkdb bitmap-fonts bonobo bzip2 cdb cdparanoia cdr cjk crypt cups curl dio directfb dix4linux dri dv dvd dvdr dvdread eds emboss encode expat fftw foomaticdb fortran ftp gd gdbm geoip gif glut gmp gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 hal howl icc iconv idn ieee1394 imlib ipv6 java jpeg kde kdeenablefinal lcms libg++ libwww mad mcal mhash mikmod mng mono motif mp3 mpeg mysqli ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png posix python qt quicktime readline ruby samba sdl soap sockets spell sqlite sse ssl svg tcpd tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev vorbis won32codecs xml2 xmlrpc xmms xv zlib linguas_en_GB userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CTARGET, LDFLAGS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

Any ideas on how to solve? revdep-rebuild doesn't detect any problems, and qt compiled fine.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Unsupported Software.
hardmasked stuff, so unsupported

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this very same issue after upgradeing to the recent GCC 3.4.4 :-(

All the FAQ's deal with a missing libstdc++.la file and not the libstdc++.so that I was having problems with.

To fix my problem I did the following:

Code:
# cd /usr/lib
ln -s libstdc++-v3/libstdc++.so.5.0.6 libstdc++.so

This seems to have fixed it for me....so far anyhow! :-)
n0rbi666
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use fix_libtool_files.sh , like an ebuild says ?
Code:

fix_libtool_files.sh 3.4.4

replace 3.4.4 with earlier gcc version
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep and it still didn't find the file :-(
n0rbi666
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
source /etc/profile

?

If still doesn't work :
Code:
emerge -a libstdc++-v3
s0lar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixnut wrote:

Gentoo supposed to be bleeding edge, still using gcc 3.3.6 standard on the install cd and needing to emerge -e world to use gcc 3.4.4. Users has to wait and wait and wait hours of compiling and changing config to get it working with gcc 4 and then you get answers like: SORRY UNSUPPORTED. Thank you very much!

I had the same issue too with gcc 3.4, I tried the fast upgrade thing, now the guide is completely changed, then after the libtool error I tried the emerge -e system and world to end up with 1 program (k3b) giving me an error. OK: The answer.
(re)emerge gcc and make sure it emerges the one you want to use. Then run /sbin/fix_libtool_files.sh 3.3.6 or substitute "3.3.6" with the version numbers from the error message and then you should be set. emerge -e system and/or world to make sure all modules keep working.

I recently installed gentoo on laptop after some time and every time I update I need to spend time fixing problems... Love/Hate relation with Gentoo.
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s0lar wrote:
nixnut wrote:

Gentoo supposed to be bleeding edge, still using gcc 3.3.6 standard on the install cd and needing to emerge -e world to use gcc 3.4.4. Users has to wait and wait and wait hours of compiling and changing config to get it working with gcc 4 and then you get answers like: SORRY UNSUPPORTED. Thank you very much!

I had the same issue too with gcc 3.4, I tried the fast upgrade thing, now the guide is completely changed, then after the libtool error I tried the emerge -e system and world to end up with 1 program (k3b) giving me an error. OK: The answer.
(re)emerge gcc and make sure it emerges the one you want to use. Then run /sbin/fix_libtool_files.sh 3.3.6 or substitute "3.3.6" with the version numbers from the error message and then you should be set. emerge -e system and/or world to make sure all modules keep working.

I recently installed gentoo on laptop after some time and every time I update I need to spend time fixing problems... Love/Hate relation with Gentoo.

s0lar: I think this original thread was regarding the unmasking of GCC 4 which is unsupported. However, I can totally agree with the love/hate relationship with Gentoo. I love gentoo as its so configurable, but I hate it cos its sometimes so unstable....even the stable packages at times need testing.

I tend to have two systems now: A Production one for tested stable packages that are known to not have bugs and a development one for testing packages which we are told are stable. I do love the way sometimes when a major update happens that it totally fux your system. For example, a recentl glibc update, and now this gcc update. With problems like that it seems easier to rebuild the whole f'king system rather than update it.

What happened to the QA process or asking for more testers? I'm sure there are many many people out here that would love to help make Gentoo better.

Gentoo is good, but is no way a build and forget system like debian, redhat suse etc.

I'm in the middle of doing an emerge -e system for the latest gcc update and I'm now told after a night of compiling that I have a missing file in portage! I mean what the F' is that all about! After a re-sync its all ok and I can resume the build but my point is that it should never have been missing a file. Yes, mistakes do happen and things do go missing, but only when people don't follow their SOP correctly.

It just pisses me off that things like this happen. Yes, people will prob say "give em a break, they are doing good work" and yes the devs are doing a good job, but there's still room for improvement to get to the standard of debian or redhat for update reliability.

I love Gentoo and can't wait for it to mature into a worry free linux distro :roll:
s0lar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use Arch Linux, you might like it too, it is almost as configurable, uses all the latest stuff (gcc 4), binary i686 and is FAST. Only minor, standard you do not use a selfly configured kernel and some packages will not work at least not with me. For my laptop now I just wanted something to work and be configurable, so I installed Gentoo and was not even thinking about updating the thing, just wanted to make it work and use till it blows up. But I just can not do that, I want to update and update and then stuff gets fucked up. Now I have gcc 3.4 and I will keep on using that and screw updates, this setup now works good enough. Once gentoo is working it is amazing. Without updating, gentoo IS a worry free distro.
When I buy a new laptop these holidays I will keep on using my old one and will test use my new beast with gcc 4 and Arch linux again. I kinda prefer binaries if they are compiled i686 instead of i386.

Is the libtool issue fixed?
Vlad.Sharp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for support to the problem. However, I'm not a patient person, so I went and started again 2 days ago. Now I have an almost fully working system.

I will keep in mind that running emerge --unmerge =sys-devel/gcc-3.3.6 is not a good idea. ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: