xbox livecd fails to boot, linuxboot.cfg not found
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobAlmighty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: xbox livecd fails to boot, linuxboot.cfg not found Reply with quote

I just got my xbox up and running after doing the hardware tsop hack and flashing my bios with cromwell 2.40. Unfortunately, when I try to boot of the gentoo xbox livecd I get an error saying "linuxboot.cfg could not be found."

I've tried burning on several different types of media including dvds. I've even swapped out my xbox dvd drive for a normal PC dvd drive and still had no luck. Finally I tried buring and booting a xebian cd and it worked perfectly. I've seen this problem mentioned on the gentoo-xbox mailing list, but no solution.

My guess is that this has something to do with cromwell 2.40 and the livecd not playing nice. Anyone have any suggestions or a solution for me? I want this box to be a minimal headless web server so xebian just has a bunch of extra crap I don't need. Plus I'm more comfortable in gentoo.
patchy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: xbox livecd fails to boot, linuxboot.cfg not found Reply with quote

BobAlmighty wrote:
I just got my xbox up and running after doing the hardware tsop hack and flashing my bios with cromwell 2.40. Unfortunately, when I try to boot of the gentoo xbox livecd I get an error saying "linuxboot.cfg could not be found."

I've tried burning on several different types of media including dvds. I've even swapped out my xbox dvd drive for a normal PC dvd drive and still had no luck. Finally I tried buring and booting a xebian cd and it worked perfectly. I've seen this problem mentioned on the gentoo-xbox mailing list, but no solution.

My guess is that this has something to do with cromwell 2.40 and the livecd not playing nice. Anyone have any suggestions or a solution for me? I want this box to be a minimal headless web server so xebian just has a bunch of extra crap I don't need. Plus I'm more comfortable in gentoo.

i had the same problem, eberyone who has the cromwell 2.40 bios has this problem.
this is becouse something is wrong with that bios that has to do with booting gentoo live cds.
however ive heard (cannot confirm) that xebians live cd should work.

the solution is, upgrade your bios to cromwell-2.40-r2.bin in wich this has been fixed.
however, again, i could not find it anywhere, couse u have to emerge it and build it to get it, lucky for me i had one linuxbox with gentoo,
so i got hold of in that way.
for u ppl that doesnt have an linuxbox, and must have this bios. i've compiled it and u can download it here,
http://www.sperma.se/cromwell-2.40-r2.bin

//patchy
slippyr4
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use this rom, please remember it's a 256K rom - if you have an early xbox with a 1024KB rom you need to concatenate this four times.

in dos/windows:-

copy /B cromwell.bin+cromwell.bin+cromwell.bin+cromwell.bin cromwell-1024.bin

you can then raincoat the cromwell-1024.bin file.
Narusegawa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got the source code for this fix? I've been talking to one of the cromwell developers and he's interested in this fix!
WARNING: It is a violation of federal law to use me in a way inconsistent with my labelling. I am dangerous to humans and domestic animals. Please avoid contact with your eyes and clothing. I should be stored out of the reach of children.
ROBO_DONUT
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Gentoo installed by attaching the hard drive to a PC. Cromwell 2.40 seems to have no problem booting anything from a hard drive.
hitachi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I got Gentoo installed by attaching the hard drive to a PC. Cromwell 2.40 seems to have no problem booting anything from a hard drive.

How did you do this? I would like to do something like the same.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: