Help with Epson 1260 USB scanner?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xenon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Help with Epson 1260 USB scanner? Reply with quote

I have an Epson Perfection 1260 USB scanner, which I can't get to work. It gets detected at boot time, but then it's not claimed by any active driver (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about), and SANE doesn't detect it. I have other USB peripherals that work correctly - a printer, a digital camera, a mouse, and anything about scanners is compiled in my kernel.
This is what the SANE compatibility page has got to say about my scanner:

Code:

Perfection 1260    USB    stable    plustek (v0.45)   sane- plustek

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'm assuming SANE can't detect it since it's not managed by the kernel, but maybe it's the opposite and some kind of driver/external module must be loaded before it can be detected...
I can post my whole kernel configuration (or other info) if needed. Thanks for your attention.
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I got ya. I just did this. Here's a little HOWTO I've done for ya. I didn't use portage, but got regular sources for the drivers, and did stuff manually. I then installed xsane manually from source, rather than injecting some dependencies to emerge xsane. It works a treat, however.

You will need the following loaded as modules or compiled in kernel:
usbcore
usb-uhci (or ohci, or whatever type of usb chipset you have)
scanner

Then obtain the following:

sane-backends-1.0.11.tar.gz
http://www.mostang.com/sane/source.html

plustek-sane-0.45-5.tar.gz
http://www.gjaeger.de/scanner/plustek.html

Create a directory named 'sane' somewhere

unpack your sane-backends-1.0.11.tar.gz into the sane directory
cd into the new <path-to>sane/sane-backends1.0.11 directory
unpack your plustek-sane tarball into the <path-to>sane/sane-backends1.0.11 directory

Read the <path-to>sane/sane-backends1.0.11/doc/plustek/Plustek-USB.txt and follow it and you
should be set. The instructions are extremely simple and worked great for me. Be
careful as the default /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf file has the device as
/etc/usbscanner0, but you will want /etc/usb/scanner0, I think, so edit it if
need be.

Oh, and I exported my CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS before doing any of the ./configure
steps. Once I had sane able to find my scanner, I got the xsane tarball and
manually compiled/installed that. Then link the xsane binary to ~/.gimp-1.2/plug-ins/xsane to use xsane as a Gimp plugin.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions or problem
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Samsung m.2 NVME pcie-3.0
Etc....
xenon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your support. It doesn't work (yet), though. I followed your instructions, and the ones in the text file you suggested, but sane-find-scanner still doesn't find anything. Summarizing the steps, what I did was:

- Unmerging sane-backends.
- Downloading the needed stuff and unpacking it.
- Configure, make, make install.
- Edit /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf.

Did I miss something? If I do cat /proc/bus/usb/devices, the scanner is there with the other USB things I got, but stating (Driver=none). In plustek.conf, I basically just added a path to /dev/usb/scanner0, and nothing else: is more stuff needed?

To be honest, there's something I don't really understand... Scanner.c is there (compiled in), but it won't claim my scanner, so I use this plustek add-on. But how does it happen? Does it need to be used like an external module, like ALSA, for example? I mean, ok, my scanner is here, the driver supporting it is here, but how do they meet? Sorry if this sounds senseless... :roll:

Thanks again, I hope I'll finally get it to work sooner or later![/code]
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that stuff like this is often better compiled as modules... maybe it will only properly use the scanner driver when you modprobe it after the scanner is found and everything. Try making the scanner support into a module, and modprobe'ing it after (or maybe it will autoload and work properly?).
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Try this: Reply with quote

Did you include the vendor ID and product ID in /etc/modules.conf? I seem to remember that even after editing /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf, a simple 'modprobe scanner' didn't work. I created a /etc/modules.d/plustek-epson file with the following line in it:

Oh and I think some of the documentation give these ID's as 048b and 011d, respectively. I couldn't get it to work unless I used 0x048b and 0x011d in all instances

options scanner vendor=0x04b8 product=0x011d

Then ran update-modules to have Gentoo incorporate it into my /etc/modules.conf. Only after this did I get it working. Sorry for not remebering this earlier, but I hope it does the trick now.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Samsung m.2 NVME pcie-3.0
Etc....
xenon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I compiled scanner.o as a module, added the vendor and product IDs, and now it works! Thanks a lot bammbamm808, and thanks BradN too, really! :D

Now speaking of fine tuning, operations are a bit slow. Not the scanning process itself, but rather the time between the command and the scan - the scanner makes a brief noise, another one, then (after some seconds) starts scanning the picture. Is this normal and unavoidable, or is there a way to speed things up?

And thanks again!
ejahn1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the instructions in this thread (multiple times) and when I try to "modprobe scanner", I get

Code:

#modprobe scanner vendor=0x048b product=0x011d

/lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r1/kernel/drivers/usb/scanner.o: init_module: Operation not permitted
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r1/kernel/drivers/usb/scanner.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r1/kernel/drivers/usb/scanner.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r1/kernel/drivers/usb/scanner.o: insmod scanner failed

dmesg tells me nothing useful. before I followed these instructions, modprobe scanner worked, but had no driver associated with it, of course). does anyone have any ideas? thanks!
ejahn1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, I didn't have hotplug emerged. now I can modprobe scanner successfully. still can't modprobe usb-ohci or usb-uchi. What other things do I have to emerge? thanks!
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure. I usually build the actual USB chipset driver into the kernel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: