For users having problems with ACPI and poweroff at shutdown
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:57 pm    Post subject: For users having problems with ACPI and poweroff at shutdown Reply with quote

My system wouldn't shutdown with ACPI enabled. Decided to upgrade the motherboard's BIOS, and as if by magic it's turned off at shutdown (no recompilation of the kernel) :D

If your MB is more than few months old maybe you should upgrade the BIOS as well (besides this issue, many bugfixes and support for new CPU/hardware usally goes into those updates).

Be warned:
This is a very involved task, and you need to be sure you know what you're doing,
otherwise you can leave the MB in an unusable state
:!:

This varies between different MB/models but usually invlolves:
    1) Find out your exact MB and BIOS version/date. This usually is shown during startup (before OS boot starts). If there's a way to get it from /proc please post here.
    2) Go to your MB's vendor website, and search for an updated BIOS version and download.
    3) Read carefully what are the changes/fixes.
    4) If seems OK, follow the instructions on how to install it on the vendors site (follow them accurately, no deviations).
    5) Reboot and pray it works.

Wow, what a scary tip :twisted:
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uprading la bios didnt work wor me, but what did work is:

compile acpi into kernel ( had to use linux-2.4.19-pre10 - gentto sources are broken for me :-()

emerge sys-apps/acpid
rc-update add acpid default
/sbin/halt

:-)
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think acpid is needed, here it shuts down without acpid installed.

This is acpid's description on freshmeat:
Quote:
ACPID is a completely flexible and expandable mechanism for delivering ACPI events from the kernel to user-space. It can be configured to perform any action at all when events occur, through regex matches and arbitrary action rules

It allows you to perform actions on various acpi events, not needed for shutdown.

As for the kernel, I use gentoo-sources here, and it shuts down we no problem.
ph317
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, acpid is for the opposite: You use acpid to hook up scripts to ACPI event - the primary use of it is to make it so when you press the "Power" button on the front of an ACPI/ATX machine, it triggers "shutdown -h now" or something similar, instead of doing a hard poweroff or suspend.
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No really It is needed for my asus av7333 board. seriously It wont halt by itself unless acpid is running, I cant explain it 8)
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know. Are you running the latest gentoo-sources kernel :?:

In a message at debian-user mailing list, one user says that patching the kernel with latest acpi patches solved the shutdown problem for him.

Maybe this will help as well.
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't know. Are you running the latest gentoo-sources kernel

I was for a while but that kernel(gentoo2.4.19-r7) was really unstable, X would crash on me every hour and when I compiled acpi into the kernel it wouldn't boot, I have no problems with 2.4.19-pre10, it is rock solid for me. My theory about why I need acpid is, It might initialize some acpi stuff that the kernel might not initialize?. If I find out what acpid is really doing to let me halt properly, I will let you know. 8)
sa
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sa,
maybe you can take a kernel from the ac series (AFAIK always with latest acpi patches) cuerrently is 2.4.19-pre10-ac2, and see if that works for you ?
amasidlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: ACPI Again Reply with quote

I've just had some success with ACPI and thought I'd share my experience with others.

My main problem with APM was that the battery charge got reported completley wrong, it appeared to discharge completely about 6 times during the course of the typical battery life according to APM. This meant I had to guess at 'about 2 hours' before plugging in or shutting down. The laptop is an IPC Starnote M15 with a SiS chipset. The bios has ACPI support.

Firstly I compiled in ACPI support + ac_adapter + button + battery to the kernel. I then tried installing and running acpid, but this gave me the old 'event file system' problem. I tried looking at the diff, but it appears the gentoo 2.4.19-r7 sources don't appear to have the same file structure... I didn't fancy installing the vanilla sources so I stopped there on that one. However, powering off on shutdown still worked.

I then had a look at the /proc/acpi files and they looked pretty good, all the info appeared to be there and OK. So I had a look at the gnome-battstat applet, which allegedly supported ACPI... no joy- no battery status. A look at the source revealed the problem, it was looking at BAT1 not BAT0 (I think this is because my laptop can take multiple batteries). Modifying this resulted in a working battery monitor. Hurrah! :D

So basically, I've now got working power off and accurate battery status on the desktop, which for me is paramount. Bizarrely it also solved another problem that when I closed the lid and reopened it, my X screen went blank and I had to switch to an ordinary console to get X back.

I've emailed the battery status applet maintainers to discuss a more permenant fix, but in the meantime if anyone wants to know exactly how I did this then feel free to send me a private message or post a follow up.

Alex
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: