[hppa] Kernel panic when trying to mount cdrom
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benqo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: [hppa] Kernel panic when trying to mount cdrom Reply with quote

Hi,

well, this might be a special problem, and I already tried my luck by searching the forum, but I didn't find any appropriate message that might direct me to a way to a solution.

I installed Gentoo on a HP PA-RISC workstation, in detail a 9000/785/B1000. After a couple problems with the disk and several tries with the kernel (the already known problem with udev) I got a working one with all the needed features (specially for the hardware).
After another reboot I saw that the CDROM was not recognized, it was neither mentioned in dmesg nor I have seen the device file in /dev. So I compiled another new kernel by adding IDE/ATAPI support. I accidently forgot to mark it to compile it with the kernel. So far, so good. Another reboot showed me that I was on the right way and now the system recognizes the CDROM. I left the original live cd in the drive and tried simply to mount it without specifying a special option for.

Now the situation gets weird. The system accesses the cdrom drive, and reacts immediatly with a kernel panic.

The configuration of my system, specially for the disc partitions, is the same as used in the installation manual for the hppa architecture:
Code:
/dev/sda2    /boot   ext2    noauto,noatime   2 1
/dev/sda3    none    swap    sw               0 0
/dev/sda4    /       ext3    noatime          0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0    /mnt/cdrom    auto      noauto,user    0 0

I'm pretty sure that after the last reboot /dev/cdrom/cdrom0 was pointing to hda, the first IDE drive, which is the CDROM drive.

So, is there someone who could help me with my problem? Tell me which information you need, I tell you everything you want to know, I just want to solve the problem. :)

Many thanks!
gmsoft
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which kernel are you using ? This should be fixed since 2.6.12.4-pa2.

In any case, using ide-scsi emulation works fine.
Benqo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kernel is the one coming with the current version. I'm not 100 per cent sure but it might be 2.6.14.2-pa2 - or?
Anyway, do you think it is really depending on the kernel, not on some feaute I may have mistakenly included or excluded?
gmsoft
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bug into drivers/ide/ide-lib.c in the ide_toggle_bounce() function which was BLK_BOUNCE_ANY for IDE-CDROM if I remember correctly.

In order to know the version of your kernel, you can run `uname -r`.

I advise you to use the latest stable one beeing 2.6.14.2-pa0.
Benqo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick answer. Well, since I'm a noob on Gentoo the most stupid question now: where do I get the source for Gentoo and hppa architecture?
And can I just simply unpack it under /usr/src and reuse the .config from 2.6.12.2-pa2?
gmsoft
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge hppa-sources

Read the handbook please. Everything is documented there.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-hppa.xml?part=1&chap=7#doc_chap2
Benqo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would, if I would be able to. But unfortunatly I have the really great situation that the network is working, but the firewall is for IE authenticated users only (customers network need) and so I'm not able to download something from the net. And I have a cdrom which scares my kernel so that it panics. Great.

Well, thanks anyway for your help. Since the project has to have some progress (time is a terrible enemy) I decided to install Debian instead, sorry. So this case is not necessary anymore.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: