Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Debug Heaven: separating debug symbols (and debug sources)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Debug Heaven: separating debug symbols (and debug sources) Reply with quote

As a source-based distro, Gentoo should be ideal for debugging packages. But it isn't; portage strips debugging symbols from binaries, making them smaller and load faster but also making stack traces unreadable and making using a debugger all but impossible. Worse, although packages are built from source, once built the code is deleted; if you want to debug a binary alongside the source code you have to locate the source tarball in distfiles (if it's still there), unpack the source and apply all Portage patches; generated sources (lexers and bindings) are even worse.

RPM-based distros have separate -debuginfo packages, which contain just the debugging symbols and debugging source code to help debug the parent package. Now, Gentoo doesn't (yet) support building more than one package from a single ebuild, but we can certainly put debugging symbols and debugging sources into the built package.

I've written two bashrc hacks, debugsymbols and debugsources, that do just that. To use them:

1. Add the contents of phase_hooks.sh to your /etc/portage/bashrc
  2. Save debugsymbols.hook.sh to /etc/portage/phase_hooks.d/before_install/debugsymbols.hook.sh
  3. Save strip_keep_debug_symbols to /usr/local/bin/strip_keep_debug_symbols
  4. Save debugsources.hook.sh to /etc/portage/phase_hooks.d/after_install/debugsources.hook.sh
  5. Add "debugsymbols" and "debugsources" to FEATURES in /etc/make.conf to activate the hooks
  6. (optional) Add -ggdb3 to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS to compile with gdb specific debug symbols

Note:

• You need a fairly recent version of binutils (for objcopy --add-gnu-debuglink); any version in Portage will do
  • For the debugsources hook, you need x11-misc/shared-mime-info or app-misc/mime-types (the hack uses mime info to choose which file types to save as debug sources); alternatively you can add patterns to EXTRA_DEBUG_SOURCE_PATTERNS in /etc/make.conf or /etc/portage/bashrc.
  • It uses a lot of space. As a rough guide, debug symbols add about 40% to a package size, and debug sources add about 60%, so enable both and you're looking at double the hard disk usage. Note though that everything is installed to /usr/lib/debug (symbols) and /usr/src/debug (sources) so you can make those links to another partition. You could also only enable "debugsymbols" and "debugsources" for specific packages.
  • Installing debug sources is disabled for package names ending in "-sources" or "-headers". Generally this is the right thing to do, but it's a nasty hack.
  • Unfortunately, for packages where lots are built from the same sources (e.g. the ruby-gnome family) the same set of debug sources will be saved many times over. I can't see a way around this; the problem is portage not being able to build more than one package from a single ebuild.

Hope someone finds this useful; post, pm or email me with any comments or suggestions.

Last edited by ecatmur on Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total
TGL
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Debug Heaven: separating debug symbols (and debug source Reply with quote

ecatmur wrote:
RPM-based distros have separate -debuginfo packages, which contain just the debugging symbols and debugging source code to help debug the parent package. Now, Gentoo doesn't (yet) support building more than one package from a single ebuild, but we can certainly put debugging symbols and debugging sources into the built package.

Great, that's something i was missing too: not that i'm a big C/C++ coder at all, but it fill somehow embarassed when I report bugs upstream and say "I will be able to send a meaningful traceback in a day or too, once i have rebuilt qt and kdelibs...".
Unfortunatly I'm too short in space on my laptop to start using it atm, but i have another box on which i will for sure enable it from the begining when i install it (hopefully in a few days).
Quote:
Save strip_keep_debug_symbols to /etc/portage/strip_keep_debug_symbols
Oops, this one is a 404.
Quote:
Installing debug sources is disabled for package names ending in "-sources" or "-headers". Generally this is the right thing to do, but it's a nasty hack.

Maybe it would be useful to have a config where one could list some patterns to match on cat/pkg to define what to exclude. Like KEEPDEBUG_EXCLUDE="*/*-sources */*-headers sys-kernel/* ..."
Quote:
Unfortunately, for packages where lots are built from the same sources (e.g. the ruby-gnome family) the same set of debug sources will be saved many times over. I can't see a way around this;
Me neither. You could think of using upstream names for the sources dirs you save, but that:
- would produce a lot of collisions at merge time sure
- would lead to nasty bugs if two packages use "foobar-1.1" with different patches
- would not work anyway for packages using several sources tree
Quote:
Hope someone finds this useful; post, pm or email me with any comments or suggestions.

Just some naive questions... What about memory footprint at runtime: do you always get the +40% of debug symbols, or are they loaded only when you gdb your core file or things like that? And what if i build a binary or lib using debugsymbols but later move/delete the symbols dir, will it be a problem to run it?

Anyway, many thanks for having given that problem your shot. Hope to see something similar in standard portage someday...
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, fixed that 404.

Right; I've added DEBUGSOURCES_EXCLUDE and DEBUGSYMBOLS_EXCLUDE; they match on $CATEGORY/$PF. DEBUGSOURCES_EXCLUDE defaults to */*-sources-* */*-headers-*. Great idea. Refresh to get the latest versions.

Interestingly, I just discovered solar also has a keep-debugging-symbols hack; his is a drop-in replacement to /usr/lib/portage/bin/prepstrip, so a slightly different approach. Me, I prefer knowing it'll still work (well, probably) after a portage upgrade, hence the bashrc hack approach.

w.r.t memory footprint: yes, the debug symbols aren't loaded during normal execution, only when using a debugger. If you delete the .debug file, the binary will run fine; it's exactly the same binary as you get using normal strip. If you then try to debug that binary, you get "(no debugging symbols found)", which I'm sure you're sick of seeing... :P

And yeah, this does use a lot of disk space... I've just gone and ordered a new 300GB drive (well, I only really need an extra 10GB, but seeing as 300GB gives the best bang-for-buck ratio...)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: