Universal Address Book (LDAP?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itsr0y
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Universal Address Book (LDAP?) Reply with quote

I'd like to have an address book that I can use with any application at any time because I hate having to transfer between applications when I switch my email program. I was thinking LDAP sounds like what I want, but this seems like overkill just for like 50 contacts. Does OpenLDAP take up a lot of resources / is it overkill? If so, what are my alternatives?

Thanks
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats indeed a overkill imho - it all depends on the applications u want to use - if u use kde u might as well use the builtin addressbook - its designed as a kpart and can therefore be used by any kde application - if u want more look at kroupware an upcoming personal management system of kde but for only 50 contacts that might be too big also... if u simply want your contacts in a 'universal' format - jut put them into a database (mysql eg.) u can retrieve them as text anywhere u want, as long as u can connect to the database with a shell or browser/cgi...hope that pushes u in the right direction...
Braempje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a bit of the same problem, but I have it with different computers in one network. My address book is not that big, and my server is not very fast...
Do you know any software with just addressbook support? It would be very usefull!
itsr0y
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, right now i have a dual-boot Win2k / Gentoo machine, and I want to be able to access all my email and address books from the same place - i want them all synchronized, and it would be best to have them all be in one spot. I was thinking maildirs for the mail (using getmail or something to retrieve it from my POP account) and then like LDAP or something for the address book. I'd like to possibly use squirrelmail to access the email when i'm away - that's why i thought of ldap and possibly an imap server.
Braempje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsr0y wrote:
Well, right now i have a dual-boot Win2k / Gentoo machine, and I want to be able to access all my email and address books from the same place - i want them all synchronized, and it would be best to have them all be in one spot. I was thinking maildirs for the mail (using getmail or something to retrieve it from my POP account) and then like LDAP or something for the address book. I'd like to possibly use squirrelmail to access the email when i'm away - that's why i thought of ldap and possibly an imap server.

Almost exactly the same situation here, only with multiple computers (and OSes).
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps the best solution would be to put them into some sort of db (mysql...) - but as i dont use the MTA u mention i dont know about their features - if they can connect to sql-db i would try that... thats what db are made for - handle data ;) - on the other hand if u are not familiar with a db there might be too much learning involved for a few adresses...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: