No Kbd again
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MWatson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: No Kbd again Reply with quote

I'm being driven mad, please someone put me out of my misery. I have a sparc ultra 1 creator, I downloaded the install CD and installed gentoo no problem, I then emerged X11, set up the xorg.conf file but have fallen foul of the kbd problem. Acording to XOrgs site I should be using a 'keyboard' driver in my linux, and if I'm using the Kbd driver then I should change it.............eh, you can't change gentoo's kbd driver over to the older keyboard driver coz it doesn't exist..........wwwaaaaaaaa what am I doing wrong, someone must know how to set this baby up.. please help me.
MWatson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes, I forgot to add, Ive no internet link so portage is using the disk copy.
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It exists, depending on your version or xorg-x11 and your kernel. If you are using kernel-2.4.xx and xorg-x11 stable, when you use Driver 'keyboard' you will get error messages, but later it will pick up the deprecated version. If you are using kernel-2.6.xx or ~sparc' version of xorg-x11, then the drivers keyboard== kbd. Either way, specifying the 'keyboard' driver should work (make sure to configure your keyboard properly for whichever kernel you are using.)

If this does not help, please post your xorg & kernel versions, and please explain just how the driver doesn't work.
Regards,
MWatson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

befor anyone asks the version of kernel on the CD is 2.4.29, symptom is when I try to start X with xinit it runs through the sorg.conf file but just after the keyboard driver is loaded I get no drivers found message, then a server terminated no screens found message. My log file doesn't tell me much, it doesn't even say what driver failed to load(seems logical since keyboard is last one that it should be the problem). The sorg.conf is just like everyone elses apart from the kbd driver.
Anyways, the only driver available in the /dev/ directory is the kbd one, I'm realy confused, I can't follow which patches a relavent and have no idea how to fix the problem, maybe I should have installed solaris instead, Ive been trying to fix the problem for 3 weeks and follow the info Ive found on here and xorg but Ive had no luck, if anything I'm more confused. Could someone PLEASE explain to me what is going on and what I need to do to fix it
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the 'kbd' driver and the configuration for the keyboard you are using for 2.4.29. If it still fails, just rebuild xorg-x11 (emerge xorg-x11). It will take a while, but you should be OK after that. I don't know why you don't have a 'keyboard' driver, because at build time, keyboard is made a hard link to kbd.
By the way, since you are an Ultra-I Creator system, you should force the rebuild to use xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6: put
Code:

x11-base/xorg-x11

into the /etc/portage/package.keywords file, or
Code:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~sparc' emerge xorg-x11

With Creator graphics, 6.8.2-r6 works better than 6.8.2-r4 (the version you will get by default).
I am not sure what version of xorg-x11 you have on that CD (/var/log/Xorg.0.log will tell you); if it is 6.8.2-r6 or 6.8.99.4, kbd driver should work for you. If I knew what version of xorg-x11 you are using and what kernel was used for building it, I could tell you what is going on. But I don't know either one.

Regards,
MWatson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would aprear my system is Linux 2.4.29, xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6
Ok I put everything back to the way it was n declares 'keyboard' in the xorg.conf now I get

(EE) LoadModule: Module keyboard does not have a keyboardModuleData data object.
(II) UnloadModule: "keyboard"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/modules/input/keyboard_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "keyboard" (invalid module, 0)

but it still craps out saying no screens found :( I will copy the log n config file n post it see anyone knows whats up with it. I'm a bit annoyed with this problem coz everything else has worked realy well
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No screens found" has nothing to do with the keyboard; with 6.8.2-r6, though, you should be able to use the keyboard driver 'kbd', even with kernel 2.4.xx.
We really need to see your entire xorg.conf file and the corresponding Xorg.0.log file to guess what is going wrong. But "No screens" means just that: xorg-x11 can't match up your xorg.conf definitions with what it is actually finding on your system when it probes the graphics cards.

For reference:
Here is a working keyboard for that kernel/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6 configuration:
Code:

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier  "Keyboard0"
  Driver      "kbd"
  Option      "Protocol"    "Standard"
  Option      "XkbKeycodes" "sun(type5)"
  Option      "XkbModel"    "type5"
  Option      "XkbRules"    "sun"
  Option      "XkbLayout"   "en_US"
  Option      "XkbTypes"     "types/complete"
  Option      "XkbCompat"   "compat/complete"
  Option      "XkbGeometry" "sun(type5unix)"
EndSection

Here is a monitor (everything but the Identifier and DPMS is ignored by the Creator driver):

Code:

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier   "Monitor0"
  VendorName   "Samsung"
  ModelName    "SyncMaster 171v"
  HorizSync      81.129
  VertRefresh    76.106
  Option       "DPMS"   "on"
EndSection

Here is a Creator (all that matters is the identifier and the Driver):

Code:

Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Card0"
BoardName   "Sun|FFB2+ Horizontal Creator 3D (ffb)"
  VendorName  "Sun Microsystems"
  Driver      "sunffb"
EndSection

And here is the screen that ties them together:
Code:

Section "Screen"
  Identifier   "Screen0"
  Device       "Card0"
  Monitor      "Monitor0"
  DefaultDepth 24
 SubSection   "Display"
        Depth     24
        Modes     "1280x1024"
  EndSubSection
EndSection

The DefaultDepth 24 is mandatory for Creator. That's the only depth it supports. Also, with creator, the Modes line is just there for documentation; The actual screen geometry and monitor characteristics are determined at boot time.

Hope this helps,
MWatson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks loads, I'll try this tonight, my colour depth isn't set to 24 so that could be a problem, I'll post the result or config n log tomorrow. :D
MWatson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D
Yep you were spot on, set it to 24 and it fired up. Just need to sort out the mouse n keyboard which are all screwy, plenty of info on this thread tho so it shouldn't be too much of a problem(I Hope). Am plenty chuffed, would have sorted it all out last night but too busy helping wife with her VB6 homework(pah,spit! crappy language) Anychance someone can write a wripoff of the VC6 ETK :) its the only good microshite product
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: