Network not stopping with pcmcia nic
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoTec
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 4:47 am    Post subject: Network not stopping with pcmcia nic Reply with quote

I've got my wireless pcmcia card _almost_ working. I'm using DHCP.

Unfortunatley, it's not stopping the network when the card stops. I issue a 'cardctl eject', the system beeps two high pitch peeps and the lights on the card go out. After I pull the card, tho, everything is very slow to open in KDE and ifconfig shows eth1 still UP and RUNNING.

However, if I issue a '/etc/init.d/eth1 stop' I get the message that eth1 has not yet been started. If I reinsert the card I get a high, then low pitched beep and it does not come back up even tho 'cardctl ident' shows the right information.

Now it gets odd.... If, after the card is ejected, I issue a '/etc/init.d/net.eth1 start' after it times out and comes back with the message 'failed to bring eth1 up' if I insert the card the card, and eth1 come back up normally.

Can anyone help me clear this up? It seems like cardmgr _is_ stopping the card and maybe even stopping the network but it's not fullying stopping the network. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

PS: Oh, even if I do a '/etc/init.d/net.eth1 stop' without stopping or ejecting the card I do get the message 'bringing eth1 down - waiting for dhcpcd to shut down.... done'. However, eth1 still shows UP and RUNNING in ifconfig. I can then bring the network back up with a '/etc/init.d/net.eth1 start'. Odd, huh?
MoTec
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, with the help of rvdp and other helpfull folks in #gentoo I got this resolved.

The script /etc/init.d/net.eth? around line 125 looks like this:

done
echo "done"
else
/sbin/ifconfig ${IFACE} down &>/dev/null
fi
eend 0
}

I edited it to look like this:

done
echo "done"
fi
/sbin/ifconfig ${IFACE} down &>/dev/null

(I removed the else so that the ifconfig down is preformed both if dhcp is used and if it is not).

Thanks again rvdp!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: