Basic Tips for USB Hard Drive
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dishkuvek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Basic Tips for USB Hard Drive Reply with quote

I have a USB hard drive that I am trying to get working on my Ibook2 with Gentoo 1.4rc3. The device itself is USB 2.0 however the Ibook2 USB ports are not (too my knowledge). I just need someone to guid me on where I might start getting this drive to first be recognized and then mounted. I formated it when I was using OS X so I beleive it is in HFS format. Thank you.
jesterspet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original posting about my trials & tribulations of getting my Linksys USB Driver seems to have evaporated. So all of this is from memory & I may forget something, but here goes:

In your kernel, you will need to ensure that you have your USB Support enabled, mass storage driver, generic scsi support, and filesystem support compiled into your kernel or as modules.

boot into your new kernel
check your logs to ensure you have your USB support working.
run 'lsmod' to see exactly what modules are loaded.

In my case I had:

e1000
    ac97_codec
    i810_audio
    soundcore

run an 'ls -slR /dev/s*' to see if you have /dev/scsi/ and if anything exists underneith it.

I had /dev/scsi/ but nothing was listed under it.

Plug in your USB Drive. Mine has a flashing LED on it, so i know the drive at least is doing it's thing.

Check your logs to see that your computer actually registered that something happened.

run 'lsmod'

You should now have your USB module (mine is uhci) loaded. if all went well you should also have the usb-mass-storage dirver

rerun 'ls -alR /dev/s*' and you should now have something under the /dev/scsi/ listing.

I have: /dev/scsi/sda & /dev/dsa1 listed

create a mount point for the dirive
I threw mine in /mnt/usbdisk
Code:

mkdir /mnt/usbdisk

and then you need to mount the drive. I threw mine in my /etc/fstab like so:
Code:

echo "none            /mnt/usbdisk    supermount rw,users,fs=auto,dev=/dev/sda1" >> /etc/fstab

• NOTE: this only works if you have supermount compiled in and working.

After that unplug and replug in your drive and you should be cocked,locked, and ready to rock, assuming of course that the filesystem already on the disk is readabel by your OS.

and that is about it, if I left anything out, it is because I am tired/squinting at the screen/out of caffene. All spelling mistakes are left for those loosers that feel compelled to correct them. YMMV, I need some sleep/cafeene/supermodel_with a wedding ring_on_my_doorstep. do not blame me if you computer locks up/crashes/explodes/shoots your dog/runs off with your significant other/files a lawsuit/launches ICBM's at a foreign country/adds 1 + 1 and returns 11/drvides by Zero/ spontaniously installs MS Bob/ or preforms any action whatsoever (yes, blinking curor counts as an action)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: