Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
RAID recovered from a failure, but what about the failure?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptbarnett
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: RAID recovered from a failure, but what about the failure? Reply with quote

After running on a single IDE disk for about a month (as /dev/hda), I decided to add another disk for redundancy. After poking around the 'Net, I found the necessary steps to create a RAID device out of the new disk (on /dev/hdc), copy all data from /dev/hda to it, then use raidhotadd to tie both disks together.

The next day, I got the following failure in the syslog:

Code:
Apr 14 10:54:52 home kernel: hda: timeout waiting for DMA
Apr 14 10:54:52 home kernel: hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Apr 14 10:54:52 home kernel: hda: drive not ready for command

followed by many:

Code:
Apr 14 10:54:52 home kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03 (hda), sector xxxx

for about 15 sectors. Then, I got the following every 30 minutes:

Code:
Apr 14 13:43:13 home kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 0

Since I use the system as a server and don't even look at the console, I didn't see the messages telling me that the RAID management had disabled one of the mirrors. I just happened to walk by the server and noticed continuous disk activity 1-1/2 days after the failure and went to investigate.

I had enabled SMART on the drives, but was unable to get any information from the disabled drive. I finally rebooted and the system came up with no problem, with the failing mirror disabled. smartctl /dev/hda didn't show anything unusual: the drive itself hasn't logged any errors.

I've done a raidhotadd /dev/md{2,3} /dev/hda{2,3} to restore the mirror on /dev/hda. Everything appears to be back to normal. But, I'm wondering what I should be worrying about? Did I have some sort of controller failure? Or an IDE driver failure?

It appears that RAID performed exactly as designed: it ran so well on the remaining drive that I didn't even notice. :) But, I'd like to understand the failure and take the necessary steps to prevent it, in case the next one isn't so forgiving.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: