Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How do I write cyrillic accent characters?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Russian
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: How do I write cyrillic accent characters? Reply with quote

Hello,

quick question:

How do I write cyrillic (russian) accent characters using russian keyboard layout? Right now I help myself by writing

звезда'
наде'жда
сбо'рник

and so on, but how do I get the accent character on the appropriate letter?

An inelegant solution would be to replace а' е' о' with latin characters: á, é, ó (which is easy on german keyboard layout). But this does not work for ы, я. How does the russian solution to my problem look like?

When I look up the cyrillic section of fonts Arial or Times New Roman (in OpenOffice: Insert -> Sepcial Characters), I can't find the letters with accent characters. Do I need a special cyrillic font?

My /etc/X11/xorg.conf keyboard section looks as follows:

Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "de,ru"
Option "XkbVariant" "winkeys"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"

Perhaps I am missing a special XkbVariant?

Thank you very much!

Jan
Laitr Keiows
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: How do I write cyrillic accent characters? Reply with quote

JT wrote:

How do I write cyrillic (russian) accent characters using russian keyboard layout? Right now I help myself by writing

Quote:
Some code points in UCS have been assigned to combining characters. These are similar to the non-spacing accent keys on a typewriter. A combining character just adds an accent to the previous character. The most important accented characters have codes of their own in UCS, however, the combining character mechanism allows us to add accents and other diacritical marks to any character. The combining characters always follow the character which they modify. For example, the German character Umlaut-A ("Latin capital letter A with diaeresis") can either be represented by the precomposed UCS code 0x00c4, or alternatively as the combination of a normal "Latin capital letter A" followed by a "combining diaeresis": 0x0041 0x0308.

http://linuxreviews.org/man/unicode/

Can't remember how to do this, but Google may help.

Last edited by Laitr Keiows on Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
YD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need for accent characters. They aren't even in language. If you need it for studying you should read http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000044
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I write cyrillic accent characters? Reply with quote

JT wrote:
Hello,

and so on, but how do I get the accent character on the appropriate letter?

An inelegant solution would be to replace а' е' о' with latin characters: á, é, ó (which is easy on german keyboard layout). But this does not work for ы, я. How does the russian solution to my
Jan

How I do it in German with ö ä ü ?

Mach das Leben nicht so schwer...
JT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I write cyrillic accent characters? Reply with quote

lefsha wrote:

I am not in the mood for this kind of child's play. Reveal the secret if you know the answer.
viy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I write cyrillic accent characters? Reply with quote

JT wrote:
lefsha wrote:

I am not in the mood for this kind of child's play. Reveal the secret if you know the answer.

Please, try to this guy easy. It's usual for him to be rude and say nothing on the subject...

Actually, there're no accent characters in russian language. Either you have some other kind of cyrillic-alphabet-based language or you have some mix of russian and Latin1 chars. In both cases you should setup X to use the layout for the needed language. Or you can have some Latin1 based layout (say DE) as your primary one, and have RU as secondary and switch between them.

If you want to use only RU layout and have some special char (like ~) to enter accented letters, you'll have to write your own config for the xkb, as there're no such possibilities in the standard configs, supplied with X.

Hope that helps.
dmitrio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: :. new font may help you Reply with quote

check out http://www.thessalonica.org.ru/en/fonts.html

... Leaving ground, destination is unknown,
into the darkness and far away from home,
Will your dream come true and what will you find,
when fate is your guide ...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Russian All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: