Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
routing, mailing etc. on old 486 with gentoo ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josimitsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: routing, mailing etc. on old 486 with gentoo ? Reply with quote

i'm gonna build a little routing (maybe mail and jabber also) box for small network of 5 boxes, with 486 DX/2 66 and 16MB ram and 1,2 GB hdd and isa network cards and deciding to put the gentoo on it. i like the phylosophy of gentoo's hands on everything so this is a pros for me, but i think there are a lot of specialized distribution to provide such thinks to me. Any suggestions ?
One more question. Is it posible to build gentoo on stronger computer, with 486 flags or so and then simpy put that in 486 box ? Are there any performance improvements in building everything from scratch for such a processor ? If there are, any suggestions for flags settings ?
lamer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:00 pm    Post subject: compile time Reply with quote

It's gonna take FOREVER to bootstrap etc. Use a stage3 tarball or skip it entirely and use BBIagent firewall floppy and call it a day.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with lamer. It will take forever to build. Look at something purpose-built like, Devil Linux or any of the other appliance-type linux distros. Those are designed to run on older hardware and you'll probably have a much easier time getting them set up and operating.

Now, if you're looking for a challenge/opportunity to learn/etc, then by all means, go for it. However, if you want something that Just Works, I think you'll be happier with something else.

--kurt
josimitsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx guys for suggestions.
Yes you're right. it's challenge for me so if it's possible to build gentoo in way a described (or see below) i'm gonna play with it. :)
only one point. i don't want to build everything on that old machine, therefore i was asking if it's possible to build everything on my regular machine whitch is of course a lot of faster. I now there is now problem build gentoo on one partition while running gentoo on another partition. Question is, if it's possible to build gentoo-486 (with flags for 486) procesor on my duron and after that it will run on 486 processor ?
CowboyNeal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 486 and a duron.

I build everything on a duron [running gentoo, ofcouse]. Just unpack the stage1 tar on your gentoo system and follow install instructions.

Next I created a 400 MB file with dd, mkfs.ext2, mount file with loopback, drop gentoobuild on loopback. Finally netcat it to hda1 of the 486 [with a bootfloppy and nc].

Then make a grub bootdisk as described in info grub and boot your new sys!
josimitsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's it man :)
is there are points about performance or optimalization ? i mean with which flags did you build it ?
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should look into IPCop which is a firewall/router/intruder detection.

I wouldn't recommend running a mail server on a router/firewall for security reasons, but placing it in a DMZ behind the firewall.
CowboyNeal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josimitsu wrote:
that's it man :)
is there are points about performance or optimalization ? i mean with
which flags did you build it ?

Code:

CFLAGS="-march=i486 -mpcu=i486 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS

And it runs like hell [for a 486 anyway:)].

Btw. I trew away the /usr/portage tree (space!!), I can always nfs mount that one.

I think I need a hack for "caching dependancies", couse that is sooo sloow :(
josimitsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i'm bootstraping now and got a question. did you built your kernel for that 486, say feature less ? Do you have some tips for kernel configuration ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: