View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sebster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: GCC hell Reply with quote

Hi all...

I have been running Gentoo for a couple of months now, and I have consistent stability problems with Java and Eclipse. I really think the problem is GCC 3.2.2 related, so I tried to recompile the entire system with GCC 2.95.3-r8. (BTW: my GCC 3.2.2 compile flags were extremely conservative, namely -O -march=pentium3 -pipe). This didn't exactly work as expected. If I mask 3.2.2 then I get dependency errors saying that >=3.2 is required.

Is there any way that I can get my system up and running on 2.95.3 all the way? Or are there hard dependencies on 3.2?

I really need a stable system, I moved off FreeBSD (very stable) due to insufficient Java support, to Debian in which everything worked except for package management (it eventually trashed my system with incompatible binary versions of libs and packages). I *REALLY* love Gentoo, but I *NEED* stability, my job depends on it.

Any tips are most welcome....
Greetings,
Sebastiaan van Erk
fca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehmmm...
Use a Gentoo 1.2 LiveCD is the only thing I can think of.

Pop in CD, boot, mount old filesystem, chroot, and try to use the compiler from the CD, and unmerge evertyhing, and then emerge everything again.
Or you can reinstall Gentoo, using 1.2, but I can only recommend that if you can safely backup your /home and aren't worried about losing your entire config. (the first option might also seriously mess up your config, but there's a big chance that most of the things come out alright)
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to have both installed if you want to use 2.95.3 with a 1.4-profile system.

Make sure 3.2.2 is installed. Then:

emerge =gcc-2.95.3-r8

gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-2.95.3

And you'll be using 2.95.3.
sebster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Downgrading the libc version to 2.2.5 just broke my system, so I'll be having to do a complete reinstall. The default glibc depends on gcc version 3.2.2. I want nothing to do with this gcc version and a complete system running on gcc 2.95.3. Just installing 2.95.3 additionally doesn't really help, because when installing eclipse I don't need to COMPILE anything, and just running it doesn't work. I did try to compile pretty much everything with 2.95.3 but after that mozilla, java, etc., all crashed with a segfault in libfreetype.so.6.
Maybe compiling the sun-j2sdk would work with 2.95.3 (not crashing in hotspot with a segfault while compiling under 3.2.2), but then that would mean I would have to compile mozilla with 2.95.3 as well, including all its dependencies. The question is, where do the dependencies stop? I prefer NOT to mix versions, and just use 2.95.3 for everything. Is this possible on Gentoo 1.4 or do I need to use a different Linux distribution?

Greetings,
Sebastiaan van Erk
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebster wrote:
Hi,

Downgrading the libc version to 2.2.5 just broke my system, so I'll be having to do a complete reinstall. The default glibc depends on gcc version 3.2.2. I want nothing to do with this gcc version and a complete system running on gcc 2.95.3. Just installing 2.95.3 additionally doesn't really help, because when installing eclipse I don't need to COMPILE anything, and just running it doesn't work. I did try to compile pretty much everything with 2.95.3 but after that mozilla, java, etc., all crashed with a segfault in libfreetype.so.6.
Maybe compiling the sun-j2sdk would work with 2.95.3 (not crashing in hotspot with a segfault while compiling under 3.2.2), but then that would mean I would have to compile mozilla with 2.95.3 as well, including all its dependencies. The question is, where do the dependencies stop? I prefer NOT to mix versions, and just use 2.95.3 for everything. Is this possible on Gentoo 1.4 or do I need to use a different Linux distribution?

Greetings,
Sebastiaan van Erk

You need to use Gentoo 1.2
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and if you install 1.2, you'll find that portage won't work until you read:

/usr/portage/sys-apps/portage/files/README.RESCUE
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: