Buying a new video card...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Buying a new video card... Reply with quote

Im planning to buy Leadtek 6800 AGP 8x for $170. I know pcx is the leading thing, but im planning to upgrade to new mobo/cpu only in next june. Then so it wouldnt be a waste of money for the agp card, I would buy the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 AGP/PCX motherboard and the Athlon 64 3500. Is this a good plan? I know its a stupid idea to buy the 6800agp/asrock cause a 6800pcx/abit nforce 4 would be mucch better. But I just cant resist playing q4/d3/hl2/css/fear which i have been waiting to enjoy on high settings for a while.
hardcore
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well buy it now, then later on sell it on ebay when you get a new motherboard.
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well im not gonna need to sell it 6800 will still be pretty good for at LEAST a year. Then around february im gonna buy the Asrock 939Sata-2 and Athlon 64 3500. Asrock got very good reviews on newegg,anandtech, and tomshardware. The best thing about it is that it has both agp and pcx. In the gaming department, asrock's pcx outperformed most of the other cards there. And the agp of asrock was just a little bit behind. For 70$, this motherboard has no competition.
wolf31o2
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russianpirate wrote:
pcx

It is PCI-e or PCI-Express. There's no such thing as PCX, as far as a bus is concerned. Also, it definitely is *not* PCI-X, as that is actually another PCI extension used mostly in servers.
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolf31o2 wrote:
russianpirate wrote:
pcx

It is PCI-e or PCI-Express. There's no such thing as PCX, as far as a bus is concerned. Also, it definitely is *not* PCI-X, as that is actually another PCI extension used mostly in servers.

Search for "Guru3D.com Cheapest Prices for": http://www.guru3d.com/
Model#: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814140047
Name: http://stores.tomshardware.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=4927887//

There.. i was just too lazy to find more! You cant blame me for using PCX to referring to PCI Express.. cause its not incorrect, its just one of the abbriviations. Maybe its not the best one, but there is such a thing as pcx. Yes i know PCIX is wrong, however people still use it (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/369884 for example) :lol:

PS: Anyway, I bought a Leadtek 400 TDH (Geforce 6800 128mb agp8x) and im gonna unlock 4 pipes and vertex shader and oc it cause it has a good enough heatsink for ocing!
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a new video card... Reply with quote

russianpirate wrote:
Im planning to buy Leadtek 6800 AGP 8x

I'm been very happy with my AGP based geforce 6600GT. Q4 + high settings = runs very smooth!

It may be a bit cheaper then a 6800, and offer comparable performance (look into this, i'm not exactly sure of benchmarks) if you are already thinking about upgrading at the middle of next year.

- Jon
/carlito
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also get a 6800XT like i did. It has as much pipes an shaders as a 6600gt, and has the same clocks as a 6800 vanilla,but it includes a 256bit memory bus and you have a chance to to unlock the pipes and shaders. Maybe you can even mod it to a 6800GT if you're really lucky.

.O.
..O
OOO
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already bought Leadtek 6800 and it should come within hours
Its very easy to unlock pipes and the vertex on it so i could oc it easily, and the fps in doom 3 should raise about 5-10%
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: