Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlo,

it's just a test forum. Whatever subforums and other changes you see there is in no way an indication of what will be implemented here.
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallamej wrote:
Marlo,

it's just a test forum. Whatever subforums and other changes you see there is in no way an indication of what will be implemented here.

I suppose that also applies to the rankings?

Damn.

I'd rather be "average" than "l337".
revertex
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't go in, user: subforums pass: test, but still kicking my arse :(
Mark Clegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good - couple of comments....

When viewing a forum that has subforums, only the posts within that forum are displayed, even though the names of the subforms are all displayed in the tree view at the top of the page. - I assume this is normal behaviour, and the tree view is for quick navigation between subforums.

When performing a search, is it possible, to specify to "include subforums" in the search?

Hopefully the ability to create new subforums will be limited in the same way that forum creation currently is.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I'll be trying it out.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
potatoface
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really cool, the new subforums...
never saw emerge moo before...
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope that the current layout is not going to go live ... with the introduction of more subforums it will be even harder to find stuff as it is already. There are just too many forums on the front page and i guess there will be a lot more subforums than there are now (which will make the situation even worse).

However, IMHO you people should have spent more time on improving the search function of the board instead of this (which is horrible at the moment - if one wants to find something within the forum, one has to use Google instead for efficiency).
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rojaro wrote:
I just hope that the current layout is not going to go live ... with the introduction of more subforums it will be even harder to find stuff as it is already. There are just too many forums on the front page and i guess there will be a lot more subforums than there are now (which will make the situation even worse).

Don't let the testforum confuse you, we needed to create a lot of subforums for testing purposes there. The layout will be introduced here as well, but there will be few subforums first. We will very likely introduce changes to the layout and collect ideas once we have gathered more feedback (especially after using the subforums patches here).

rojaro wrote:
However, IMHO you people should have spent more time on improving the search function of the board instead of this (which is horrible at the moment - if one wants to find something within the forum, one has to use Google instead for efficiency).

It's already being worked on.
bll0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you made a very good job, and I know it was not easy at all. :roll:

So I tried to make a post and, tada, it worked, even with a poll integrated.

But when I tried to search for my post, I can't find it using the search. It's located in
"Gentoo Forums Foren-Übersicht -> German -> Sauerkraut und Eisbein".

Searching by authors name or egosearch works perfect, but if I try to search by some
of the words in the post ("interesting", "pfadliste", "Entwickler") there are no matches!
Only if I select the subforum directly in the search-dialogue, I am able to find my post.

Well, I 'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm just to stupid to use the search, but maybe you
might have a look at this!

Cheers,
bll0
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bll0 wrote:
But when I tried to search for my post, I can't find it using the search. It's located in
"Gentoo Forums Foren-Übersicht -> German -> Sauerkraut und Eisbein".

Searching by authors name or egosearch works perfect, but if I try to search by some
of the words in the post ("interesting", "pfadliste", "Entwickler") there are no matches!
Only if I select the subforum directly in the search-dialogue, I am able to find my post.

Well, I 'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm just to stupid to use the search, but maybe you
might have a look at this!

This will be due to the exclusion of all national forums from the default search results. E.g. if you search for something in the German forum, it won't show up when using quick search or the "All forums" option in search.php, but only when explicitly searching the German forum.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rojaro wrote:

I don't know how familar you are with the phpbb code hell, but introducing subforums and making the search funtion useful play in different leagues regarding the amount of code/work necessary to accomplish the one or the other.
Inte
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: search vs. subforums Reply with quote

Hi there,
to everyone who contributed ... WELL DONE! :mrgreen:

By the way, will you sort all old threads (bit by bit) from the former main branch into the new ones (Installation, OT, etc.)? Cause if you don't we have to do several search processes to get all appropriate results. Maybe someday it'll be possible to select the former main forum (German for example) and do a recursively search, because the current situation is very annoying.
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are permanently working on improving (and partially cleaning up) the vanilla code.

About the search function: It's much more complex than you first might think. And it's not just about implementing a new search engine. It's also about converting the forums to UTF-8 in one step.

We'll introduce subforums first because it's finished; the new search engine isn't yet.
Onip
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at a first glance it seems a very pretty work. But i would suggest not to put subforums in the first page that way. It would just make the page grow in lenght and became a quite messy. I think that a solution as displayed in this image would be better. Note that subforums are just a link in the main forum "widget".

p.s. If you can't open the image just copy and paste the URL in a new tab\window of your browser. Is is a thing depending on my host

Titus Lucretius Carus, De Rerum Natura - Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum
M@rijn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if i'm right or wrong but will it be possible to minimize subforums you don't want??

Take a look at React: gathering.tweakers.net
There you can set the forums you want to see if you are logged in, the search is all over the forum but in your profile you can choose to only display the FAQ forum (for example).....

You've got the idea??
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rojaro wrote:

Well I thought I should read the posts before diving in to test and it looks like you have already got it fairly well debugged. Great work.

But I will second rojaro's post. There is a great danger that this will make browsing the forums less efficient and make a new, improved search indespensible.

You may like to consider holding back on the subforums release until we have an efficient search tool. Releasing it first "because it's finished" does not seem like very sound reasoning. It should be released when it would be helpful. I suspect this means after the new search.

I'm sure there's no need to repeat the reasons we need a better search, I suggested this about 18months and got told "no way if it's not in phpBB" .

Well, I'm glad to see wisdom prevails. :wink:

Many thanks to !ian in anticipation of work and efforts on the new search tool.

I think that could be the biggest improvement this year in what Gentoo has to offer. When can we test ?? 8)
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please restrain from bitching about the search function in this thread. Please follow up in Gentoo forum search sucks, new search stopwords list (especially for the new search function) or /dev/null.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody's bitching, both posts specifically relate their comments to the subject of this thread.

Indeed , I specifically refrained from saying what was wrong with the current search and offered thanks and encouragement for the efforts being made to improve the situation.

Now if anyone feels that is "bitching" maybe I touched a sore point . Sorry :roll:
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially the big international forums are suffering from not having something like subforums. Thats why we want to see it going live asap.
Cpt_McLane
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian! wrote:
Especially the big international forums are suffering from not having something like subforums. Thats why we want to see it going live asap.

i agree... searching in the german forum is a hell...
subforums would improve that...
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian! wrote:

Good point, I use the french forum sometimes and having everything in one flat list is not good.

My previous commnet was obviously made with my blinkered, "english only" head on (which is pretty slack 'cos I live in France !!). In the case of the internationals I think subforums is an excellent idea. For the rest I remain of the opinion that it needs to be reviewed as to whether it would be productive in relation to the existing search capabilities.

I heartily encourage you to go live with this asap so you can concentrate your efforts on the new search. :wink: This will be a real asset to Gentoo.

Is there a thread where we can follow this?

TIA. 8)
Rainmaker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found a layout bug. see this screenshot:

http://rainmaker.homelinux.com/2005-10-28-010144_1280x1024_scrot.png

Mind the white block under the large quote
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already noticed that one, it's more a rendering problem caused by massive abuse of bbcode. ;)
It looks fine in Opera btw.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your testing, we're pretty confident that most of the bugs have been ironed out so we've added the subforums code here. Before everyone jumps in with requests for subforums we're going to try it out in a few of the larger international forums before we start adding subforums to other categories. Once we're sure that everything works in a real-life situation then we'll ask for some ideas.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: