Asterisk on IA64?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OxleyDave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Asterisk on IA64? Reply with quote

I was about to buy a new Xeon (EM64T) processor server to run various services including Asterisk, but I've just seen that Asterisk isn't available on IA64. So, a couple of questions:
1. Why?
2. When will it be available?

Cheers,
Dave.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Asterisk on IA64? Reply with quote

IA64 is Intel's first 64 bit architecture, that never really took off, for a variety of reasons. EM64T is Intel's (AMD64-compatible) x86_64 architecture . IA64 can NOT run x86 code, whereas x86_64 can, most of the time.

If Asterisk runs on x86_64, AFAIK it should run on EM64T. But I'd try to determine the compatibility before I buy some expensive Intel processors. I would also do some googling to verify that my brief description of the differences between IA64 and EM64T is correct. Actually, here's a link that describes the differences adequately.

To answer your questions:

1. Why? IA64 is not a mainstream processor, it was a big flop pushed by Intel. Pretty much the only people that bought into IA64 were large HPC installations, and AFAIK they're moving away from the arch.

2. When will it be available? Probably never, for reasons (not necessarily exhaustively) specified in 1.
OxleyDave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

As you probably guessed I just assumed that the EM64T would use IA64 ebuilds. I knew the Itanium was IA64, but I am still confused as to what I should be using for EM64T. You've said it is compatible with AMD64, so should I be checking for ebuilds being avialable for AMD64 or x86?

Cheers,
Dave
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only making a slightly educated guess. I would do more research, perhaps ask around on #gentoo-amd64 on irc.freenode.net. They're usually the place I go with AMD64 questions.

HTH

EDIT: When you find your definitive answer, please be so kind as to post your result here, in case anyone else searching the forum has the same question.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did some research in the IRC channel I guided you to, because I'm just interested. Here's a link to a good source of info:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_INTEL_XEON_WITH_EM64T_Optimizations
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: