Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
portage on Darwin 8.01
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cenrim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: portage on Darwin 8.01 Reply with quote

Hi folks!

jepp, like you read in the thread's title (and maybe here), I'm trying to install portage on a 'pure' Darwin.
I got some problems with the CD image and stuff, but I finally a could boot it and installed Darwin to one of my (many.. let my count.. 8?) partitions.
OK, it crashed while I was adding the first User, so the only thing configured is the root-password, but since then it bootet cleanly several times inside of MOL and one time on it's own.

I was a real pain to get the MOL-enet-drivers out of this pkg-stuff from /usr/share/mol/0.9.71/images/moldiskX.dmg (which gotta mapped to a blockdevice by molࢮ² to mount it, cause I had no fscking clue how to mount a dmg in darwin, there is nothing like a '-o loop'... :roll: ) and unpack this pax-archive (I'm sure I needed more than 20 minutes to find the right options... OK, my english is bad, but this manpage blows...) but in the end I could copy the extracted files into the /-fs ('cp -pvr ./Sytem /') and used kextload to load them...
'ifconfig en2 x.x.x.x up' and it worked ^^

the real problems:
  • the installer for gentoo-on-macos is an OS X-app and I can't execute it in darwin (no aqua and stuff) either can I extract anything from the .dmg, because it's not really an diskimage, Darwin's file says "VAX COFF executable not stripped", but it seems far from executable ("-sh: /Volumes/data/ISOsDMGs/gentoo-macos-20041118.dmg: cannot execute binary file")...
  • my /data-partition, on which I wanted to move the PORTDIR (the distfiles are already there), shared between OS X and gentoo since the beginning, suddenly gives dozens of errors, when I'm writing from gentoo. when it's mounted by MOL/darwin it works..

²) the line in molrc.osx looks like
Code:

blkdev:      /usr/share/mol/0.9.71/images/moldiskX.dmg   -ro
Cenrim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, I'm tried to install baselayout-darwin and coreutils-darwin on my own, which means without portage...
I'm not sure, the baselayout did anything, the functions.sh script ran without any output, but I think the coreutils installation (configure, make, make install) worked...

OK, I just looked in the portage ebuild and fsck, I think, I gonna try this cross-compile stuff... this will be easier than learning the whole ebuild-syntax and doing this stuff manually ^^

OK, almost midnight again, I'm going home..

good fight, good night!

(hmm... I haven't seen Celebrity Deathmatch in ages... but where to get this stuff...)
Cenrim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

other idea:
I reinstalled OS X to an other partition this morning and will use the Panther Chroot Howto to install portage in Darwin

my /data is screwed, OSX' and Darwin's checks said it's an HFS+ and it's alright, but nor those two or gentoo can mount it.
so I got a 25gig dmg on my firewire disk with mostly stuff I got somewhere ales to, but since I can't mount it, I can't proof this... *sigh*

so, gotta go now, but I'll try it later today ;)
Cenrim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the gentoo-macos-installer didn't install to a nonOSX volume... oh s**t...
I'm just realising, a forgot to export a variable...
whatever, again I worked my way through the pkg to the include Archive.pax and got it extracted to Darwin's /
but in the end, chroot refused to work on my /Volumes/Darwin... :roll:

now i'm in Darwin (which is bootet inside of MOL ;)), tools like emerge exist but..
oh...

* Cenrim is a really big idiot ...

more later..
Cenrim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe... I think, I should take all my posts here and make somekind of HowTo from them ^^

kay, the Idiot thing:
I remembered, I did no bootstraping!
of course there is no user portage, who should add it? :roll:

since I can't "emerge sync" I took a portage snapshot, untared it and atm I'm (finally) running the bootstrap-darwin.sh! :D
ok, I got no sudo and I'm root cause it's the only user, so I got to substitute "sudo" with "" and since I can ping from mol out to the world when using IPs but I can't resolve urls, even when I replace the broken symlink /etc/resolv.conf (to somewhere in /var/run/) with a file containing "nameserver 130.149.4.20" *sigh*
(I substituted the url "www.python.org" with the IP, so the script could download python)

aaah... I just found a site about network configuration in darwin *bookmark*

kay guys, I think I learn some netinfo stuff, so I get Darwin into a usable state *g*
Cenrim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Kay, workaround till I know netinfo (the way Neo 'knows' Kung Fu, if you know what I mean ;)):
no name resolving in MOL means, I got to fetch them from gentoo...

oh... ehmm... sorry guys, private stuff...

(I thought I'll never see this girl again.. 8O )
Cenrim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, yeah..
I didn't give up, but the semester just started, so I'm a little bit... occupied :wink:

current prob is ncurses (dep of gentoolkit and.. something I need to be happy ^^)
I'm gonna try to make an ebuild which includes some fink patches...
but right now I'm heading home, catch some sleep

n8 guys!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: