View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Neverwinter Nights.. Reply with quote

Neverwinter Nights is out. Who's got it? Anyone got a review for us? 8)
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool !

I'll go buy a copy as soon as it hits the stores here, or perhaps I'll pre-order it tomorrow.
Perhaps I'll write a review too if I find time for it, but that won't be any time soon :)

I just really hope the linux binaries will be out soon !!
If they are out, I suggest we download them massively and contact bioware to thank them for the linux support. We, linux gamers, need to show the world we exist! :)

Greets
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux Binaries? I checked out the website, doesn't make any mention anywhere on the site about linux binaries for any of their games...
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to their forum talking about the linux binaries that will be availible via download "shortly."
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooooooooooooool...
so how does it work? just the executibles need to be ported? and it uses all the game data from the Windows Boxed version? thats not bad at all.
will they be doing this for all of their games?
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understood, Neverwinter Nights ships with Windows, Mac, and Linux binaries. http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/06/11/2213225&mode=thread&tid=127 is the slashdot story...
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from the looks of the NWN BB, the boxed version doesn't contain Linux binaries. They aren't availible as of yet. Bioware is making them availible via download in a yet to be defined timeframe called "shortly." Just to clarify, if you go buy NWN you won't be able to use it with Linux out of the box.
wulvyrn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: i have it Reply with quote

it's okay to play in windows

will try and run it in wine later tonight with opengl enabled
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no news about linux binaries :(

There's more hope for Mac users though: http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/press_releases/nwnmac/
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: i have it Reply with quote

wulvyrn wrote:
it's okay to play in windows

will try and run it in wine later tonight with opengl enabled

So you've played it? Does it live up to the hype?
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:drool:

damnit, there's no drooling smilie. worthless...
ASCI Blue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If/when you choose to visit bioware's forums you'll see there's plenty of hope for the linux binaries. Derek French (Producer in Bioware) said that they're grinding away on the linux stuff.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the developers are saying about a port is "soon" :)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:
all the developers are saying about a port is "soon" :)

That's typical of all game developers. I really trust bioware on this one. It's been a goal of the project from day one. They want to have this be a huge online game and they realize that having everyone from all OSes be able to play would greatly increase their potential customers. Plus, they would like to have people set up old systems as servers for worlds for the game. I'm sure they are working very hard to deliver this. :D
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news, good to hear that.
However, I'll refrain from buying it untill the linux binaries are out ;)

Greets
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it today, but only had about 45mins to fool around with it before heading off for work (where I am now).

So far, it looks really good, but to early to make a decision (I thought Morrowind looked pretty good too, but I haven't touched it for ages - boring!). I found the interface for moving around a little clunky, but nothing that I won't be able to adapt to - you use the mouse to move the camera and actually move with the keyboard.

I am really looking forward to having a go at it with some friends, either being the DM myself or having someone else do it - hopefully that will be where this game really shines.
wulvyrn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: NWN play time Reply with quote

well i've played around with it for the last two nights i.e. no time to see it if works or not with wine--enable-opengl.

does it live up to the hype? well no... but it does live up to the expectations i did have as i have played dnd from chainmail up...

play is not as fast as diablo or diablo II

you have more character customization than any other 3d game i've come across (too much you might have trouble on deciding what to do).

graphics are not as good as dungeon seige and there are load times between scenes. the graphics are great for why is there, you want additional models for characters, build them yourself as openfx works with wine --enable-opengl.

load times are small and let you take a drink of water between scenes but not enough time to stretch both of your wrists twice with two stretches.

all in all - i'm addicted (according to a co-worker of mine). i don't know if i'd tell you to buy it, but i'd tell you to buy it at tux games and figure out what kind of character(s) you want or what you want to do with it.

i'm having a lan party weekend after this one, so i'm hoping for a linux server to come out and also (probably not) to play nwn in linux for it too.

if you have any questions about game play or character making (i'm a monk, bard, rogue fan myself), i'd be happy to reply if you e-mail my real e-mail address.

wulvyrn <aa0na@arrl.net>
ASCI Blue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN was not designed as a Diablo clone, hence 8 times out of 10 it will not be as fast as Diablo.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASCI Blue wrote:
NWN was not designed as a Diablo clone, hence 8 times out of 10 it will not be as fast as Diablo.

Yeah, but it's designed to be played online. Diablo has a similar style of graphics and since it's also played online I would say that it's a great comparison. I would like to think that NWN was faster just because it's newer. If they can't make it faster than a game that's been out for quite a while, that's pretty sad. :(
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, see -- games get slower as time goes on. Bigger, better effects and so forth.

Case in point: Descent Freespace 2 clocked in on my other computer at ~ 90 FPS; SubSpace currently runs at ~750 FPS. SubSpace is older, so it requires less hardware to run at full speed. (Plus, it's 2D vs FS2 which is 3D, but still. :D)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta407 wrote:
No, see -- games get slower as time goes on. Bigger, better effects and so forth.

That doesn't make sense to me. This would be like taking a 286 chip, processing it in the latest fab techniques, and saying it's faster than a P4 since it will have a clock speed of 20 zillion MHz. There are more ways to measure speed than that. I was under the impression that we're talking about network speed because that's been the achilles heel of online video games. How do you transmit all this data for graphics and the game at a reasonable rate? Diablo and NWN are both trying to tackle this problem. I would like to think that NWN is faster because it's newer. Bioware wasn't trying to stun us with graphics either. They want a lot of playability and there's a lot of information that's associated with it. I wouldn't mind if the graphics were a little worse as long as it's got great gameplay.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristam29 wrote:
How do you transmit all this data for graphics and the game at a reasonable rate? ... I would like to think that NWN is faster because it's newer.

Well, possibly. Then again, on the other hand, it might have more information to send, might take advantage of the fact that a sizable portion of computer users are on broadband, etc. Since the average horsepower is higher now than a couple years ago, it's probably designed to make use of it, and thus require greater resources than earlier games.

But, then again, there are still a lot of dialup users, so I doubt it's a bandwidth hog. :)
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: NWN play time Reply with quote

wulvyrn wrote:
graphics are not as good as dungeon seige and there are load times between scenes. the graphics are great for why is there, you want additional models for characters, build them yourself as openfx works with wine --enable-opengl.

....... have you tried 1280x1024 with 64mb textures?... graphics is WAY better than DS, and I'v had settings high there too....
ASCI Blue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN and Diablo do not have similar graphics. Unless I'm mistaken (from what I've seen) Diablo/Diablo 2 are not true 3d games, more of a 2.5d. Diablo/Diablo 2 are hack and slashes, NWN doesn't require that one hacks and slashes through everything. Diablo ran like a bat outta hell on my t-bird 750 with Radeon. NWN hicoughs at times with too many critters, too much terrain, or generally too much of anything. Did I mention that the recommended (aka required) specs for NWN are 800 Mhz, 256 megs, and GF2/Radeon?
Utoxin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyD wrote:
I found the interface for moving around a little clunky, but nothing that I won't be able to adapt to - you use the mouse to move the camera and actually move with the keyboard.

This may be too late a reply to really matter... But:

Uh... You /can/ move with the mouse. Just click where you want your character to go.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: