/usr quite big - what do I need?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
f.kater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: /usr quite big - what do I need? Reply with quote

Hi y'all,

can I some how make my /usr smaller? I mean, is it normal to have 1.3 GB only in /usr on a gentoo-system with kde3.0.1 (only kadebase! no extra kde applications), mozilla and openoffice? (I remember my ms-windows life using not more than 500 MB for all this inclusive the system itself...)

/usr/portage -> 310 MB
/usr/share -> 297 MB
/usr/lib -> 186 MB
/usr/X11R6 -> 102 MB

Thanks
Felix
tomte
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

under windows you didn't had the complete source code, the development headers and a complete compiler collection installed, I assume...

regards,
tom
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Some ideas ... Reply with quote

Here are some folders for which it is generally safe to clean:

/usr/portage/distfiles
Contains source tarballs and patches which are downloaded by Portage for all builds. It is safe to delete them, but should you recompile anything they will need to be downloaded again. Good candidates for burning to CD if you have a burner.

/var/tmp/portage
Temporary working files used during compilation process invoked by Portage.

/usr/share/doc
Generally speaking, documentation is optional and could be backed up and removed.

You can try running emerge clean to remove stale files belonging to out-of-date builds. Be advised also that CPU-optimised compiling (one of Gentoo's chief attractions) will often generate *larger* binaries. Speed in code is often gained at the expense of memory. In other words, the greater the optimisations used in make.conf, the greater in size every single binary on your system may be!

You may also consider using a different filesystem. If you are not using ReiserFS you might consider it because it is more efficient than most at packing large numbers of relatively small files, thus avoiding disk "slack".
MaRTiaN
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
/usr/share/doc
Generally speaking, documentation is optional and could be backed up and removed.

I never use man pages, my internet connection is too quick, anyway I can just tell gentoo not to install man pages?
f.kater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomte wrote:
under windows you didn't had the complete source code, the development headers and a complete compiler collection installed, I assume...

True - and I like it to compile the code everytime I need it, but I don't need the src present on my harddisk when the bins are ready, do I?
'bye
Felix
tomte
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f.kater wrote:
tomte wrote:

True - and I like it to compile the code everytime I need it, but I don't need the src present on my harddisk when the bins are ready, do I?
'bye
Felix

The archives, certainly not, but they come in handy if you want to recompile a package; how big your bandwidth might be, the server bandwidth is limited and shared by many downloading users, and recompiling without downloading is faster anyway; so if you aren't short of hd space, there's one big reason to keep the source-archives, and the smaller reason of speed ;-) and no reason against it.

regards,
tom
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. :idea: You could use the mount bind option in /etc/fstab to link the /usr/portage/distfiles to another partition which has more space, a normal link could also be enough.

I'm a master at stating the obvious, cya lX
B

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Using LVM Reply with quote

The other option is to do what I did and do a full LVM
Check out this:

install.https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=1897
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: