Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
/etc/issue with date-command (kernel 2.6.13)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emphii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: /etc/issue with date-command (kernel 2.6.13) Reply with quote

I found interesting feature with date-command, and linux single.

After compiled system up and running I noticed that clock is living by it's own time. 6 hours front.
After issuing date 092412002005 (eg.) the whole system halted. Only powerswitch did something
(yes, and cd-rom drive's eject-button =/).

Couple of boots, and I noticed that I can change the time from LiveCD, with no problem. Well
to be clever, did it that way and boot up from disk - It still was 6 hours front.

After some digging I found, that there is a conf-file in /etc/conf.d/clock, where I can tell to system,
that it uses local, not UTC, -time. Wow success. Now only 7-10 minutes late.

I couldn't change that time with date command, and cannot. Not from running system, but from
LiveCD it works fine. =(

Well. hwclock was answer, and not let the system to sync system clock to hwclock. Now it has
been on time atleast an hour.

Has anyone else ran to problems with this?

Another thing booting to single-user mode. Well - Never used to log in to system via network,
while it has booted to single-user mode. Neither to GUI. Any hints? Silo 1.4.9 in use.
Code:

silo.conf
# Example of how can be silo.conf set up
partition = 1
root = /dev/hda4
timeout = 100
#password = __put_your_password_in_cleartext_here__
#restricted
image = /boot/kernel-2.6.13
        label = linux
image = /boot/kernel-2.6.13.prev
        label = linux.prev

ekutay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the installation guide to set your system time appropriate with linking your timezone and so on. Then I would suggest to use either ntp-client to sync your time as a system service on a regular basis or ntpdate for a manual sync.
To get ntp on your system
Code:
emerge ntp

Code:
rc-update add ntp-client default

Code:
ntpdate [yourntpserverhere]

As far as I have understand the other problems, single user mode is for repairing stuff only, hence the system startup is not complete, e.g. it just starts runlevel boot.
Emphii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

=) Thank you ekutay. I guessed, that ntp, will be one suggested solution, but no. I should have to mention that.

You have to have chance to change the date settings with date command locally. What I mean, it will be strict
firewall policy, no working ethernet connection, what ever. That ntp-stuff is only temporary solution.

What comes to single-user mode.

Just guess, how many times I wanted to boot to single-user mode just to try, if there is some service,
which blocks date-command. =)
Also if things go wrong, when you setup your system, you love to start system up to single-user mode and made
changes to settings. As I have to work with it regulary with HP-UX, I can tell it's not a joke-mode, as some may
think (not pointing to you).

But anyway. I don't judge your answer, thank you for it, but unfortunately it's not a solution, it's only temporary
solution with date-command.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: