View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camresu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: gcc 3.3.3 (new gentoo arm) Reply with quote

SpanKY wrote:
[

i have to devote sometime to tracking down the compile errors the gcc 3.4.1 ebuilds produce with the current stages ... ive been working on arm/uclibc lately ...

I have a Ipaq 3600 and would like to help out with the gentoo arm.

I have opie on it now. I could help write a cross compile how to.

In my mind you compile everything on the descktop in cross compile mode and then intall it on the ipaq. Most users would just use a precompiled system to start, say like arm stage 3?

You could then customize away, for the hackers and ultra paranoid they could build form stage 1.

The arm (or pda gentoo) needs to be able to sync effortlessly to really take off, the sync apps are what most users want. A seemless intergration of pda/desktop.

Let me know.
SpanKY
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: gcc 3.3.3 (new gentoo arm) Reply with quote

camresu wrote:
I could help write a cross compile how to.

at this point in time, the best way to integrate a cross compiling toolchain into Gentoo is with crossdev:
emerge crossdev
crossdev --arch=arm

it'd be great if someone could hack around on the latest glibc ebuilds (2.3.4.2004xxxx) and gcc ebuilds (3.4.x) and try to get them working for both crosscompiling and native builds ...
SerfurJ
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm interested in building an arm gentoo for my psion. i'm using debian right now, but the package manager is too much like rpm. i'd like to get the system built on my desktop to take care of dependencies, and then transfer the files over to the psion. i would have to do a lot of work on repackaging ARMedslack to use it. a from-source distro like gentoo seems to be the perfect solution. i'm suprised there hasn't been more development in this area.

so what do i have to do to get started? it would be so easy if i could just chroot into the arm environment, but that obviously won't work. the psion i use only has a 35mhz processor, so i can't build anything on it.

i haven't found much documentation on crossdev. this is what happens when i type crossdev --arch=arm:
Code:
 * arm isn't tested/implemented yet.  Test and send patches!
SpanKY
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SerfurJ wrote:
i haven't found much documentation on crossdev. this is what happens when i type crossdev --arch=arm:

ok, the embedded team has since updated the toolchain in portage such that you should be able to simply emerge a cross-compiler now ... notes that i made while i coded this support:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/CROSS-COMPILE-HOWTO

i hear there are people who talk about this in other places on our forums and on gentoo-wiki.com, but i dont really have much time to browse ... i'd rather develop ;)
SerfurJ
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info.

maybe building an arm gentoo isn't such a good idea (at this point in time). i just realized that the vast majority of the ebuilds in portage don't have arm support.
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SerfurJ,

SerfurJ wrote:
i'm interested in building an arm gentoo for my psion. [snip]
Have you had any success with this? There's some traffic in the Psion-Linux mailing list regarding cross-compiling using T2 (a fork of RockLinux), but I would rather use Gentoo if it is possible, merely because I am familiar with it. That said, cross-compiling would be a whole-new education altogether.
Andrew_Esh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Linux Arm Project Reply with quote

Add this to the URL list:

http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/
Andrew_Esh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Arm Linux Reply with quote

Sorry about the earlier post, but the correct URL for the ARM Linux project is this:

http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/
Andrew_Esh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: ARM Linux Reply with quote

Here is the list of machines and processors being supported by the Arm Linux Project:

Machines
There is now an on-line machine database available, which contains a complete listing of all supported machines.

The following list contains additional links for various machine types.

* EBSA110 Image Overview Drivers Utilities (maintained)
* RiscPC Overview Drivers Installing Utilities (maintained)
* EBSA285 Image Overview Drivers (maintained)
* NetWinder
* CLPS7110
* Archimedes Overview Drivers Installing Utilities (not maintained)
* A5000 Overview Drivers Installing Utilities (not maintained)
* LaCie NAS
* Brutus
* Compaq Personal Server
* Itsy
* L7200
* Pleb
* Integrator(maintained)

* Compaq iPAQ H3600 (Bitsy)
* IXP1200 HowTo
* Assabet
* Victor
* Lart
* GraphicsClient
* XP860
* Pangolin
* Yopy Fan page
* TI925
* RiscStation
* OmniMeter
* spot

Processors
The following is a subset of the supported processor types. Please note that Linux requires a MMU (memory management unit) in order to run. If you are looking for a version of Linux to run on a MMU-less processor, please investigate uc-Linux.

* ARM610
* ARM710
* ARM720T cores
* ARM920T cores
* StrongARM 110
* StrongARM 1100
* XScale
ticho
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I find some tutorial/instructions on how to install those stages on Acer N10 ? I'm totally new to linux on embedded...
shi^Yo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ticho: if you are just interested on running linux on your Acer N10 then you should try http://www.handhelds.org and look for Familiar project. It seems that your device is not supported at the moment http://handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/SupportedHandheldSummary but it can boot linux using Haret bootloader.

Fortunately, for newbies like myself using iPaq, the project is impresively functional at most of things, which gives a hope to people on other devices to wait for their device to be supported. Sorry, if my quote is irrelevant with the rest of the thread, I havent read it all.
dnix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Finally nobody is able to run gentoo on an ARM device? Now I own a (very) old Ipaq 3630 and I'm very happy already with the experiments I did with familiar, but now I want more! I want to try to install gentoo on it! It is possible?
Cheers,

Denix
farcaller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Palm Tungsten T3 Reply with quote

Anyone tried to run Gentoo on Palm T|T3? I have tried to load the arm kernel using midified version of bootloader from palmtelinux.sf.net, still no success :(
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've an arm7or 9 (don't remember,need to run dmesg) machine with a 30GB hdd (320x240 tuchscreen,usb 1.? host)
so running gentoo instead of qtopia is very interessant
but arm is not as suported as X86 or ppc
so is there qny tutorials to build a such system or documentation as x86 handbook or installation docs
by the way previous x86 instalation manual has some wrong things in arm parties as far as it says that some tools aren't avaliable on arm but i have them on qtopia(arm)
i think portage in slow arm machine needs distcc in order to make others machine(x86,ppc...) compile it's code(with cross=compiling or it's sucessor)
for example iwconfig
Dr.Dran
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: gcc 3.3.3 Reply with quote

SpanKY wrote:
mheyse wrote:
What's the status of gentoo-arm anyway? Doesn't look like too many people are using it. This thread is pretty quiet and still I didn't find anything more active. Where do I go to find the secret hidden gentoo-on-arm-linux-community? :?

probably because it's never been announced anywhere

we used to have arm in the tree but then when we lost our one arm developer, no one could maintain it so we removed it

a while later i bought some netwinders and so now i'm the sole arm Gentoo dev ;)

i'm aiming for a 2004.3 release now so we can announce official arm support

Hi I have bought a CerfPod 255SE board, and I have intention to develop a system like buildroot (http://buildroot.uclibc.org/) that utilze the emerge system to mantain the packages... I need help because I haven't a great experience with this dev board, I make experiments with and old IPAQ but now I want to upgrade and improve my knowledges.

Thax :D
- President of ImoLUG [Imola & Faenza Linux User Group]
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ou-err, this does not look like a very lively debate!

Is anyone using Gentoo on ARM now?

I'm considering a TS7xxx SBC based on ARM9. All thier stuff is on Debian derivative so I'll better get used to Debian I suppose.

I was rather hoping to find a lively backwater of hardcore ARMers in Gentooland.

Seems there's a Gentoo_ARM project but not much action. Am I must missing where all the fun is ??

TIA.
KiberGus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is topic about gentoo on PDA. They are arm board too.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-518041.html
IRQsRFun
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Another link Reply with quote

When I read through this topic, I thought the following link may be useful...

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/cross-development.xml#doc_chap7
soth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
gentoo_on_arm9++
8)

Join the adopt an unanswered post initiative today
Dunster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote this in 2002:

Dunster wrote:
Has anyone made any further headway on this? I would imagine this is a two stage process:

1. Build a boot kernel for the ARM to support your specific ARM platform using your PC development system.

2. Configure portage to cross compile to ARM to a specific directory on your PC development system and then preload a file system with the portage output and put this on your target.

Does this seem right?

My Raspberry Pi 3 is arriving next week, so I can finally try an ARM port soon. I look forward to running crossdev to build an image from my x64 machine.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunster,

It mostly works. There are some broken build systems out there that need to be fixed.
There are also some build systems that build some code then run it as a part of the build.
If that build and run code is built for you target, you get to keep the pieces when it fails to run on the build host.
Python used to be like that but it built for me a few days ago. Perl is still like that.

If you are thinking of running armv8-a on your Pi 3, you have a lot of work to do.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Dunster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is great to see the success of Gentoo as a self hosting distribution and a development platform.

It seems like Gentoo is a now a very important piece in the Linux ecosystem perhaps only second to the kernel itself.

I see that Git is now supported which is amazing.
jlpoole
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run Gentoo the SheevaPlug for years since the SheevaPlug first hit the market. I cross compiled and used distributed compiling with my other servers. When it worked, it was a dream.

I ran into two problems: instability in the cross-compilers and the internal hardware transformer/capacitor gave up the ghost after 2 years or so. Otherwise I did all kinds of things one might hesitate to do (like compiling GCC which took about 26 hours) and did not run into ARM specific problems. I used it for web services and BIND. I had 2 Plugs and each has had to have their power source replaced -- I used an external power source rather than paying Globalscale for a duplicate internal part that I felt would likely die in another 2 years.
jlpoole
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlpoole wrote:
I've run Gentoo the SheevaPlug for years since the SheevaPlug first hit the market. ...

I forgot, I also built and installed Gentoo on the Efika. It took some doing to build the image, but when I finally got it to work, it's been a useful little server that does not eat a lot of power.

Lastly, while I'm on the subject, I built an image for the BeagleBone, too. Haven't run it much as it was an experiment for some sensors, but once I had the image built, seemed just like old times.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: