Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
mkboot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: mkboot Reply with quote

Is there any command in Gentoo that makes boot disks, I thought it was kind of odd during the install there was no option like all other distro's to make an emergency boot disk, or do you have to do it all by hand by using dd= and such?
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Gentoo CD can be used like one big Linux recovery floppy. See my post in Tips & Tricks about using it to repair a broken install.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:01 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thank you I did this when I first installed Gentoo and had a mistype in my grub.lst file so it would fail to boot. I just wanted to see if there was also a boot disk. But the cd seems to be better then a regular boot disk anyways.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with floppy disks is that they're so small -- they can barely fit a kernel, networking modules, and a couple utilities to use them. The boot CD doubles as a rescue CD and gives you a rich set of utilities (filesystem utilities, text processing, tar, gzip, bzip2, scp, ftp, wget, ssh...) that you simply can't get with a standalone boot diskette. The Gentoo boot CD rocks -- that's all there is to it. :D

But if you want some boot-sector-be-gone insurance, you could make a GRUB floppy just so you could boot your system again in case your MBR goes away. But, with the Gentoo CD, you can fix your MBR instead of just working around it, so... :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: