devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jza wrote:

Xft auto-detection... ()
Could not find Xft lib anywhere in /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/shlib /usr/lib /lib
Xft disabled.
Xft support cannot be enabled due to functionality tests!
Turn on verbose messaging (-v) to ./configure to see the final report.
If you believe this message is in error you may use the continue
switch (-continue) to ./configure to continue.

!!! ERROR: x11-libs/qt-3.3.4-r3 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 153, Exitcode 101
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.
[/code]

you forced xft on qt and don't have xft installed. it is part of xorg. you are out of luck if your xorg/xfree didn't install xft. You have to emerge xorg or install a latest rpm.

jza wrote:

Why should I not use the xorg from portage?

its a big package and distros have different places for different things in the package...you can certainly emerge it. but you better clean the older rpm install thoroughly, otherwise it will be a mish-mash.
jza
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

its a big package and distros have different places for different things in the package...you can certainly emerge it. but you better clean the older rpm install thoroughly, otherwise it will be a mish-mash.

i see, that's what I thought originally, which is why I figured i would just use the xorg from portage since a lot of packages depend on it, and if i'm gonna be getting all my multimedia stuff from there (we do visualization stuff), i should use it (doesn't this make sense?). This brings me back to my original idea of just going back to a minimal install, I have to reinstall anyway to go to rhel 4 anyway, alhtough this comes with the same version of xorg as portage, so i'm not sure what to do. On the one hand, it may cause problems with dependencies/locations in the portage tree. On the other hand, i'm not sure if portage's xorg will successfully merge in redhat. Of course if rpm didn't suck as much as it did, i wouldn't have to worry about this :)[/quote]
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jza wrote:
Quote:

i see, that's what I thought originally, which is why I figured i would just use the xorg from portage since a lot of packages depend on it, and if i'm gonna be getting all my multimedia stuff from there (we do visualization stuff), i should use it (doesn't this make sense?). This brings me back to my original idea of just going back to a minimal install, I have to reinstall anyway to go to rhel 4 anyway, alhtough this comes with the same version of xorg as portage, so i'm not sure what to do. On the one hand, it may cause problems with dependencies/locations in the portage tree. On the other hand, i'm not sure if portage's xorg will successfully merge in redhat. Of course if rpm didn't suck as much as it did, i wouldn't have to worry about this :)
[/quote]
I just did an upgrade on FC2 from xorg 6.7 to portage xorg 6.8.2 successfully. very hacky instructions, but they work. key things:

0. verify that the xorg from portage will compile. how? compile it...:)
Code:
ebuild /usr/portage/x11-base/xorg-x11/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r2.ebuild compile
1. logout and stop gdm/kdm. Rename /usr/X11R6 to /usr/X11R6.FC2
Code:
 mv /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11R6.FC2

2. search exact version of xorg packages and filter out files installed outside of /usr/X11R6 and save them.

Code:
for i in `rpm -qa|grep xorg|grep 6.7.0-9|sed -e "s:-6.*$::g"`;
do
  rpm -ql $i|grep -v "/usr/X11R6" >> /var/tmp/xorg-outside.list;
done
for i in $(cat /var/tmp/xorg-outside.list);
do
  cp $i $i.FC2 ;
done

change for your version numbers.

3. rename links to /usr/X11R6:

Code:
$ cd /usr/include

root@ /usr/include
$ mv Mrm Mrm.FC2

root@ /usr/include
$ mv uil uil.FC2

root@ /usr/include
$ mv Xm Xm.FC2

root@ /usr/include
$ cd /usr/lib

root@ /usr/lib
$ l|grep X11R6
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  root         29 Nov 14  2004 libGLU.so -> ../../usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  root         31 Nov 14  2004 libGLU.so.1 -> ../../usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.so.1

root@ /usr/lib
$ mv libGLU.so libGLU.so.FC2

root@ /usr/lib
$ mv libGLU.so.1 libGLU.so.1.FC2

root@ /usr/lib
$ mv /usr/include/DPS /usr/include/DPS.FC2

now
Code:
emerge -pv opengl-update xorg-x11
to check what will be installed and finally,

emerge opengl-update xorg-x11 (this one you can use the above ebuild command with 'compile' replaced with 'merge', because you already compiled it).

And voila, my fps doubled up!!

delete .FC2 files and dirs when you are comfy with new X.

Last edited by devsk on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
jza
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, i'll be trying it this week
lambada
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One very important thing

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE RSYNC INSTALLED. Otherwise emerge sync will surely fail.

It took me some time to figure this out.:roll:

lambada
PRC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Portage past Gentoo Reply with quote

I was pondering in my car ride today about something. Could you actually run portage on a non gentoo system. It's just a program like any other program. it just manages sources and installs them. Its like Gentoo is not just a linux distrobution but a scheme or a plan. You can install what you want....your not really installing gentoo linux..your installing your own linux. You can install the Gentoo Linux maintained kernel source, or you can use whatever one you want. I mean if you could run portage on any distrobution, wouldn't that be cool. Anyone test it?

curtis119: merged a duplicate thread to this one. This post is the beginning of the duplicate.
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suppose you are excited enough to feel like reading an 11 page thread on the subject?
PRC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool...thanks for the link...It seems more like a "HOWTO" then a discussion on the real impact on if portage became a installer beyond just gentoo (maybe there already is?). If other distrobutions quit trying to make independent binary files, and just installed from source, which some end up doing half the time with some of these binary distros......I was on my Mandrake machine and needed to download something....wish they had portage on it...makes me not want to leave gentoo, which I don't plan to....
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G4User wrote:
That's cool...thanks for the link...It seems more like a "HOWTO" then a discussion on the real impact on if portage became a installer beyond just gentoo (maybe there already is?). If other distrobutions quit trying to make independent binary files, and just installed from source, which some end up doing half the time with some of these binary distros......I was on my Mandrake machine and needed to download something....wish they had portage on it...makes me not want to leave gentoo, which I don't plan to....

Were you by chance... smoking something... recently?
PRC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.....lol...I'm quite tired....so that might be the case....Boredom comes at the price of mental stability sometimes...
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

Location: Somewhere between reality and Middle-Earth and in Freiburg (Germany)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Portage past Gentoo Reply with quote

G4User wrote:
I was pondering in my car ride today about something. Could you actually run portage on a non gentoo system. It's just a program like any other program.

yes it is. One pool manager of my faculty has installed the portage on sun solaris 9 and it works well. Actually he had to change some things, but I don't know exactly what he did.
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
widremann
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage and apt-get together on the same system would be really nice. You could install binaries, or from source, and neither way would be more difficult than the other. Sometimes, I just want a piece of software without compiling for hours and dealing with those issues. And other times, I want to tweak and compile from source.

What we really need is for Gentoo to have better RPM integration, so that binary package installation is possible (the current system sucks, I'm sorry).
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://emerde.freaknet.org/

I did this on slackware 10.1 twice. The first time it didn't work because it was a full installation.
The second time it worked, but I was getting errors a lot for some reason, and after a short period of time i couldn't emerge anything

I'm sure with proper configuration it works better than what I did with it,
Lost in android development land.
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

widremann wrote:
Portage and apt-get together on the same system would be really nice. You could install binaries, or from source, and neither way would be more difficult than the other. Sometimes, I just want a piece of software without compiling for hours and dealing with those issues. And other times, I want to tweak and compile from source.

What we really need is for Gentoo to have better RPM integration, so that binary package installation is possible (the current system sucks, I'm sorry).

why not just install apt-get (or similar) on gentoo?
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I merged a duplicate thread to this one. The duplicate begins on Sept 17.
jamapii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: inject on steroids, and using quickpkg Reply with quote

yes I know it's considered obsolete, but here's a way to tell portage about the files in these old --injected rpm packages:
(assuming sendmail has been --injected)

cd /var/db/pkg/*/sendmail*
rpm -q --list sendmail > CONTENTS

This won't create a correct CONTENTS because it needs checksums etc., but it's sufficient to use quickpkg to create a tbz2 package from the old version
kiljoi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, another Slackware user trying to adapt portage. I have tried using the script in this thread, the rescue tarball, and emerde, but I only get this far:
Code:
root@kiljoi:/etc# emerge --sync
config_profile_path not specified to class config

Using all three attempts, I get this far. Anyone have any ideas?
kiljoi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody?
coriolan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That script is too old. What I did with my RHEL laptop was that I downloaded the portage tarball from one of the mirrors. Then I simply make installed it. Having done that I synced and emerged world, but I masked glibc, gcc, and baselayout. Baselayout is dangerous in other distros. There was also this thread which is also rather old. You should try the manual way.
kiljoi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I'll give that a go and see if it works.
stevenjoseph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: carrying portage + sources on a cd Reply with quote

Hi, i've been using gentoo for 5 months. I have never used a faster distro than this and im really loving it. Now i have a few questions about gentoo related to using portage on other systems
I have compiled my system for my Athlon-xp ... will my binaries work on other machines?
Just a thought ... is it possibel to make a cd with a snapshot of the portage sources etc... and a few scripts to make it possible for networkless installs .... my friends are less fortunate not having a broadband link.

Thanks
Great work guys I'm still learning but ... i'll make my contribution ... really love this distro :D
coriolan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably not the thread for that question but perhaps this one. Binaries work on other machines provided they have the same architecture and the same dynamic libraries as the computer you built it for in the first place.
d11wtq
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what might be the cause of this?

Code:

i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -pipe -fPIC -DNO_vsnprintf -DUSE_MMAP -DPIC -fPIC -c adler32.c -o adler32.lo
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -pipe -fPIC -DNO_vsnprintf -DUSE_MMAP -DPIC -fPIC -c compress.c -o compress.lo
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -pipe -fPIC -DNO_vsnprintf -DUSE_MMAP -DPIC -fPIC -c crc32.c -o crc32.lo
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -pipe -fPIC -DNO_vsnprintf -DUSE_MMAP -DPIC -fPIC -c gzio.c -o gzio.lo
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -pipe -fPIC -DNO_vsnprintf -DUSE_MMAP -DPIC -fPIC -c uncompr.c -o uncompr.lo
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -pipe -fPIC -DNO_vsnprintf -DUSE_MMAP -DPIC -fPIC -c deflate.c -o deflate.lo
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -pipe -fPIC -DNO_vsnprintf -DUSE_MMAP -DPIC -fPIC -c trees.c -o trees.lo
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -pipe -fPIC -DNO_vsnprintf -DUSE_MMAP -DPIC -fPIC -c zutil.c -o zutil.lo
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -pipe -fPIC -DNO_vsnprintf -DUSE_MMAP -DPIC -fPIC -c inflate.c -o inflate.lo
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -pipe -fPIC -DNO_vsnprintf -DUSE_MMAP -DPIC -fPIC -c infback.c -o infback.lo
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -pipe -fPIC -DNO_vsnprintf -DUSE_MMAP -DPIC -fPIC -c inftrees.c -o inftrees.lo
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -pipe -fPIC -DNO_vsnprintf -DUSE_MMAP -DPIC -fPIC -c inffast.c -o inffast.lo
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,libz.so.1 -Wl,--version-script,mapfile -o libz.so.1.2.3 adler32.lo compress.lo crc32.lo gzio.lo uncompr.lo deflate.lo trees.lo zutil.lo inflate.lo infback.lo inftrees.lo inffast.lo -lc
rm -f libz.so libz.so.1
ln -s libz.so.1.2.3 libz.so
ln -s libz.so.1.2.3 libz.so.1
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -pipe -fPIC -DNO_vsnprintf -DUSE_MMAP -o example example.o -L. libz.so.1.2.3
/usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a(elf-init.oS)(.gnu.linkonce.t.__i686.get_pc_thunk.bx+0x0): In function `__i686.get_pc_thunk.bx':
: multiple definition of `__i686.get_pc_thunk.bx'
example.o(.gnu.linkonce.t.__i686.get_pc_thunk.bx+0x0): first defined here
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [example] Error 1

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/zlib-1.2.3 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 39, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

[root@pc-cac ~]#

That's when trying to emerge portage after the initial setup and emerge sync on Archlinux (Intel P4 64bit), I've tried changing profiles from x86 to ia64 but the same thing happens. I get an error at the very start too but I'm not sure if that's the cause.

Quote:

!!! Problem with sandbox binary. Disabling...

Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 27) sys-libs/zlib-1.2.3 to /
>>> md5 files ;-) zlib-1.2.2-r1.ebuild
>>> md5 files ;-) zlib-1.2.3.ebuild
>>> md5 files ;-) zlib-1.2.2.ebuild
>>> md5 files ;-) files/digest-zlib-1.2.2
>>> md5 files ;-) files/digest-zlib-1.2.3
d11wtq
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock On!!! :D

Here's what I did.... I've emerge several things with plenty of deps and I'm pretty sure this is working great :)

For those who've never used Archlinux it also pulls packages from a repository using a tool they call "pacman" -- these packages are prebuilt, often corrupt, and the repository they have is pretty small. I'm forced to to use AL (Archlinux) at work so I'm stuck there but if this lets me sneakily get away from using pacman and use portage then fantastic -- if ever my boss installs something on the machine he'll use pacman and see nothing wrong :P

The problem I was having was the glibc files were out of date (I think)... I tried using portage to get these but the errors were just re-appearing so I used pacman for the last few times (I hope):

Code:

pacman -S gcc
pacman -S binutils
pacman -S glibc
emerge sync
emerge portage
# Voila !! ;)

I think that shoudl apply to *any* distro.... makes sure the following are installed and up to date before you try to follow the info in this thread:

rsync
glibc
gcc
binutils

You'll also want to emerge profiles after the first sync too.

Side note:

If you get "ebegin: command not found" or "ewarn" etc errors

Code:

ln -s /sbin/depscan.h /etc/init.d/
ln -s /sbin/functions.sh /etc/init.d/

If you do all the you should have what you have on Gentoo.
thoffmeyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot, time to put this on CentOS :D

Join us on IRC
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #conrad
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: