dm-raid via-raid, grub wont play nice!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
godish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: dm-raid via-raid, grub wont play nice! Reply with quote

Generally I dont ask for help but I cannot seem to get this to work. :)
My situation is this, I need windows xp AND gentoo on this pc for school.
amd64 3000+ with a abit kv80 with 2 36gig raptors setup on raid 0 with a 4k stripe.
I have the drives partitioned [boot/ext2 (32M)] [Swap (512M)] [root/reiserfs (20g)] [ntfs (50g+-)]

The problem is, i cannot seem to get grub to load properly on boot. If in fdisk (/dev/mapper/via_bhfgiiaeh) i select to boot from partition 4, windows loads fine.
All grub does is it says "Loading grub 1.5" (or something like that) and then instantly reboots!

I followed the tutorial here, http://tienstra4.flatnet.tudelft.nl/~gerte/gen2dmraid/
and...
this one http://www.gerald-online.de/bits-bytes/artikel/raid1-linux-install/
and have read pretty much all the forums here that contain grub and dmraid....

I also tried creating a backup of the boot partition(using dd), stuck it in C:\, modified my C:\boot.ini, and added C:\gentoo.bin="Gentoo Linux" and it does the same thing when i select <Gentoo Linux>.
I have tried using grub-static, and grub. installing grub on the first sector [setup (hd0)] and on the first partition [setup(hd0,0)] both with the same result. the computer tries to boot, says Grub Loading stage 1.5. then reboots!

fdisk -l returns...
Code:

Disk /dev/sda: 37.0 GB, 37019566080 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4500 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1           5       40131   83  Linux
/dev/sda2               6          68      506047+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3              69        2501    19543072+  83  Linux
/dev/sda4            2502        9001    52211250    7  HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 37.0 GB, 37019566080 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4500 cylinders

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

and if i try it on dmraid...

Code:

Disk /dev/mapper/via_bhfgiiaeh: 74.0 GB, 74039131136 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9001 cylinders

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/mapper/via_bhfgiiaeh1   *           1           5       40131   83  Linux
/dev/mapper/via_bhfgiiaeh2               6          68      506047+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/mapper/via_bhfgiiaeh3              69        2501    19543072+  83  Linux
/dev/mapper/via_bhfgiiaeh4            2502        9001    52211250    7  HPFS/NTFS

The strange part is, if i use grub (not static) use reiserfs as my boot partition type and install grub to the boot partition (hd0), it wont restart, but it hangs at GRUB Loading stage1.5... ext2 and ext3 results in a instant reboot when trying to boot. I have not tried 2 things... lilo, and increasing the size of my stripe sector size beyond(4k). I really would like grub, and i could not see the sector size as beeing a problem :?
Any ideas would be appricated as i have been messing around with this for the past 4 days... :(

*Edit, i have tried lilo, with the patch, both on the first sector, and on the boot sector, neither of which work
ldoe3000
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a while to do, but I finally got mine going with grub, gentoo and winXP x64 dual-boot. I mostly followed this how-to, including reading through all of the posts in that thread. I did end up going to some other places (probably including the ones you did) so it's possible the one piece of info I needed was not on the link I give. My partitions are exactly like yours, including filesystems!!!, except for size. One thing I notice from your config compared to mine is that my windows partition is the boot partition. Grub doesn't mind..

My general steps, with all cursing and hair-pulling steps removed:

- install Gentoo, get Raid0 working with dmraid and grub installed to hd0
- install windows, which overwrites hd0
- reinstall grub into hd0
- works

It took me about 4-5 days of messing around though. Hope it works for you eventually, good luck.

[EDIT] - one more thing, don't create your windows partition in gentoo - just create it when doing your setup in Windows. That was one big hurdle I had to get over..
ATI x800XT PE (8.18.6)
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Dell 24" Widescreen LCD
Dual boot: Gentoo x86_64 2.6.13-r4 , Windows XP x64
statare
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only boot on raid1 (mirroring) if you don't have true harware raid. That applies to both linux and windows.

True hardware raid is very expensive! Are you sure you have that?

AFAIK via is not true harware raid.
wbreeze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always bothers me when I see a post like this.

Yes you can boot from a fake raid 0 into windows and yes you can boot from a fake raid 0 into linux

I've done it before. Yes is was a pain in the ass. Yes it took me days to get working

But it can be done

This was quite some time ago, and I followed a huge thread started by garlicbread. I used winxp 64 beta and gentoo amd64 and a via "fakeraid" controler, I built an initrd out of someone elses initrd and manualy configured the dmsetup into the initrd. I used a patched version of lilo, which is probably stock lilo by now.

The thing you have to remember about fake raid0 (on via at least) is that the bios only sees one drive, and the bios is perfectly happy to load lilo from that one drive, once the kernel and initrd loads, that one bios drive turns into two linux drives, and the only thing you have to worry about is how to make your initrd do the rest.

Never say Never

BTW my system is not setup this way anymore because I lost one drive, and never bothered to go to the trouble to set it up this way again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: