does a alpha cpu have a thermal sensor?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: does a alpha cpu have a thermal sensor? Reply with quote

hi all!

does anybody know if the digital alpha processors have a thermal sensor?
and if yes how to read it out?
in my case it would be a ev56
thanks
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about alpha's, but the sensors would be in the motherboard, not the cpu. To be able to read the sensor, in case it exists, you need to include the relevant drivers in your kernel. If you are in doubt mark in make menuconfig all the drivers related to I2C (compiled statically, not as modules). If your motherboard's sensors are supported by the linux kernel you should be able to read the sensors info thru /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature. You can use also a program like mbmon, xmbmon, gkrellm, torsmo or conky to read that info, but remember that you still need the drivers in your kernel.
griffypoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Short answer... Reply with quote

No. Newer Alpha systems such as the UP1100 do include a thermal sensor, but they use the ev6 CPU rather than the ev56.. The ev56 was around before thermal sensors were all the rage..
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh :(
but anyway
on such a ev6 system, how would i read that sensor out?
like 6thpink said?
griffypoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a program called lm_sensors that provides an interface between the hardware and various software programs like gkrellm that were mentioned earlier. For more information on this program, see http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/
doublehp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
I know nothing about alpha's, but the sensors would be in the motherboard, not the cpu.

Intel (SIC) processors include a hardware sensor that shuts down the CPU automatically around 92 or 95 or 98 deg cel, as build in device since Pentium3 from memory. That sensor may not be readable for user.

This is urgently required for all manifacturers since above 108 deg cel, silicium is not resistive at all, and die becomes one big piece of conductive stuff ... then all 120W (think 5V 25A) can be redirected to any thing, including IDE (burn HDDs) or LPT or VGA (explode your printer or amplifier of VGA input) or any other device that is not isolated using led briges.

Since many years, all CPUs have internal protection against that short circuit ... for your safetry.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: